UK Government asking fast-food/restaurants to display nutiri

Options
Finally!! Only a handful of chains do this in the UK at the moment.

Calories busted by cafe culture http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14786547

Replies

• Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I wish more places in the US would do this too. I have to ask for nutritional info, and not everywhere even has it! (Especially small, local chains, but even some larger. Their excuse is "it's made my the chefs so always a little different" ... argh!)
  • jaitken_22
    jaitken_22 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I was so glad to hear about this this morning! I first saw nutrition info displayed when I was on holiday in New York in 2009 when I was in Burger King, the calories etc were on the boards above the counter. Wetherspoons pubs in the UK are good for providing nutritional information for what food they serve as they provide a booklet of nutritional information for customers and it really shocks you what is actually in what you think is a healthy option! When I first started going out with my boyfriend we used to go to Wetherspoons a lot and go for the cheeseburger and chips with onion rings and maybe a side of garlic bread and when I saw how much it was I felt so disgusted!! I think it's important for places to display nutritional information but it is up to the customer what they choose to eat.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    My top kudos goes to Panera (St. Louis Bread company) who already does this! It certainly has effected my choices on more than one occasion!! I think it's a fantastic thing - I can completely understand the fears of the fast food places that people won't eat there anymore - frankly, I think just the same will eat there, but make better choices and frankly, those better choices are almost always higher in price (and probably in margin) so it might end up being a good thing for them. And those that just "need" that big mac and extra large fries aren't going to be swayed by the calories.

Now the restaurant I get all pissy at is TGIFriday's - they give you the "here's the choices under 800 calories" but won't tell you how many calories are in each. I don't know about you - but an 800 calorie dish is a lot different to me then a 400 calorie dish!! I've entered components of a few of there dishes and it does seem to be this big of a range. I don't know why they just won't publish the dang calorie count!!
  • tkb1985
    tkb1985 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/317523-sign-my-petition-uk-restaurants-to-show-nutrition

See my post from a few weeks ago... I'm ALL in favour of doing this.

PS, if you agree, please go and sign the petition! Can't hurt :)
  • mike737
    Options
    I was dumbstruck to see some chains said no to this !

I think the food industry should team up with MFP
  • mazza33
    mazza33 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Excellent news - about time too!
  • fiabka
    fiabka Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    It's great news
    I recently signed a petition on line for info to be a legal requirement in the UK on all foods from any kind of eatery
    Fingers X
    :smile:
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I think the food industry should team up with MFP

That would be brilliant!!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/317523-sign-my-petition-uk-restaurants-to-show-nutrition

See my post from a few weeks ago... I'm ALL in favour of doing this.

PS, if you agree, please go and sign the petition! Can't hurt :)

Did this already, I'll be tweeting it later when I get home :)
  • kym117
    kym117 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I think it is fantastic that some of the major fast food company's and resturants are taking part, Some of these companys have all the nutritional information on there websites but it is giving everyone the information upfront and giving them the option to make an informed decision, I am sure there are many people who will look and ignore, there will be a lot of people that are not aware of each items calorific content and I am sure will be shocked, It stated on the news this morning that a milkshake, medium fries and a burger would use up half of your daily calorie allowance,in fact to put in the terms of calories alone I have been on MFP now for 9 months and only eat 1200 calories a day so I would use ALL my daily allowance in one meal!
    Considering that this is optional and will effect there business on some scale I am very pleased that they are considering peoples health.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I think it is fantastic that some of the major fast food company's and resturants are taking part, Some of these companys have all the nutritional information on there websites but it is giving everyone the information upfront and giving them the option to make an informed decision, I am sure there are many people who will look and ignore, there will be a lot of people that are not aware of each items calorific content and I am sure will be shocked,

I completely agree. Before starting MFP, I used to ignore the calorie signs. Burger King has had one up for a long time..I would look at it and say "WOW.." but of course that didn't cross my mind when ordering. Lol! And that's what lead me here to MFP.
  • ladybug91254
    ladybug91254 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I think people should write to the restaurants they like and let them know they are upset that they don't provide nutrition info. I love Texas Roadhouse but I wrote them and told them I don't plan to eat there if they aren't going to issue nutrition info. I don't think it would affect people eating in these restaurants...we all know that the majority of the population is not concerned with the calorie count etc. So those people are going to continue eating there. It would just open it up so that those of us who do care would be more comfortable making choices there. However, having said that even if they do provide the information we still have to be cautious when eating out. The cooks/chefs can add/change things at their discretion. I had it happen to me at Bob Evans recently and posted about it here. I got a "fit from the farm" pasta dish and it came literally swimming in what appeared to be butter. I had gotten this several times before so knew it shouldn't have looked that way...found out the cook had added butter so the pasta wouldn't stick together...duh...a low cal dish!
  • purplepollypops
    purplepollypops Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Great news! Be so much easier for all of us :)
    Px
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I think people should write to the restaurants they like and let them know they are upset that they don't provide nutrition info.
    I actually did that with a few restaurants that I really enjoy the food at - Zizzi's and Urban Pie. Though at the end of the day, the specific calories are going to vary day to day depending with the chef cooking the food. And if we're honest, we all do it in our own daily cooking too.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    about bloody time, too. I sent TGI Friday here in the UK letters and emails asking about the nutritional content of their food and got a stock response from their marketing department saying that anything in the menu can be cooked to your own preference. I can't decide to have ketchup with my 3,0000 calorie slab of lard or go for spicy cajun was my response.
  • notebelow
    notebelow Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    A lot of places in the UK do provide the information but you have to ask for it or search on their web pages - Places like The Harvester are amazing for it. You can plan your mean ahead of time with an App as well. Just need to get more places on board. Its illegal not to provide the ingredients list, why not follow suit with the nutritional info too?!
    Heading over to sign that there petition!