Gained weight in isolation

Options
Hi there,

I have gained a lot of weight since COVID-19 started. Around 4kg. I am now just starting again to try and lose that weight. Anyone going through the same thing? Food has become my main source of comfort...

Replies

• thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I gained a similar amount of weight. At the start of the lockdown, I lost weight because I was so anxious (and probably worried about where I would be able to buy my next meal given we had supply chain issues) but then as I relaxed, I began to eat. And eat. I cooked hearty home meals without measuring anything and I ate snacks. And then more. And then the whole packet.

On Wednesday, I decided enough was enough. I am now logging food (including weighing everything!) and whilst I haven't started exercising yet, I have started thinking about what I eat. I'm down a kilogram already, which goes to show you can put on a ton of weight quickly, but you can also lose it quickly.

All the things that you let slide - meal planning in advance, logging things, weighing things - it's time to bring them back. As boring/annoying as they are, they work.

You also need to figure out when you're overeating and why, and then keep yourself busy at those times. If you get upset during the day and eat, can you phone a friend instead? If you get bored at night, can you find a new show (one you've never watched before, so can't rewatch mindlessly) to stream? Could you do something vaguely productive like sort through your stuff to find things to throw away?

Best of luck. You've done this before and you can do it again. It's time to take back control and get back on the wagon. COVID-19 has already taken so much away from us - but it doesn't have to take away your healthy eating.