Need Encouragement....

Options
So week 2 is now down and I was feeling really great. The first week I lost 7.1. Now in week 2 I was totally motivated, all week I did really good, within my calories, worked out every day, didn't eat any snacks at night or all day for that matter, just my 3 meals and only ate clean foods...nothing processed. Saturday night I did drink beer though....so I went to weigh in today, thinking I was gonna have a good week and I am up from last Monday, half a pound. How could I do so good all week and just one night of drinking beer put me up?? I was sitting here crying for a good hour. I can't believe this.....I seriously did so good last week....I was really proud of myself. And to add insult to injury I weighed myself last Thursday (I know you aren't supposed to weigh more than once a week but I couldn't help it) and I was down 2.6 from Monday!! So that really means I gained 3.1. What the F??? I am losing it. I am not giving up but I feel like I just lost an entire week and I need some encouraging words.

Thanks for listening.

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    First, this is totally normal. Second, losing 7.1 pounds in the first week, while exciting, is not sustainable. There are a lot of factors that cause us to fluctuate from day to day. And yes, sometimes, one night of drinking can cause your body to retain water and show higher numbers on the scale. Give this more time, and you'll start seeing real results. But be prepared for up weeks, flat weeks, even plateaus...all while being "good."
  • destinysativatank
    Options
    I am in your same shoes....almost exactly! I was down 9lbs the first week, now I have gained 3 back...actually too discouraged about it to update my weight status on this site. But I do believe positive thinking is what is going to get me through this. I cannot give up just because of a number on a scale, I have to keep reminding myself to look at the big picture...even if the scale is not showing what I want to see...I am still making positive life changes that can only lead to positive results!!! Hang in there...
  • CharlotteAmmann
    Options
    Hey!
    Don't worry, don't give up.
    You need to know that you are building up muscle and burning the fat.
    Then you need to know that muscles are heavier as fat.
    So it's possible that you don't lose weight even if you are doing your workouts.
    Important is that you messure your arms, legs, hips, breast and check this once in a while and write it down.
    It's possible that you lose there cm. and that you are modelling your body.
    Try to get a balance which shows you also your muscle, fat, water, bones ect. I've one: tanita B545, I'm sure you have something like that to buy.
    Don't worry you are doing fine! Don't go to fast, think about the period you got all those weight and don't try to lose it in a couple of months. It's better for your body and to keep your weight down.
    Good Luck!
  • melvac
    melvac Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Don't give up..Most studies I have seen tells me to eat every 2 to 3 hrs, this keeps my metabolism up and I am not hungrty doing of course portion control and make sure you are eating a lean protein with each meal eaten. I started on a 90 day challenge and to date I lost 19 #'s in a little over a month. Alcohol of any kind beer included could slow your metabolism or make you retain fluids. Give it a try this week challenge yourself get that 2.+ pounds off this week you can doit!!!
  • simone_84
    simone_84 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged! You're only just starting this journey and it might take a little time to learn how things affect your body and in what ways. I think that's funny personally. I've been living with this same body my whole 27 years so you'd think I'd know how it works and what things might set me back but after a month I'm still figuring it out myself. So while I might not have it all figured out what I do know is that becoming discouraged can lead to giving up and that most definitely won't get me to my goals! So rather than letting a setback discourage you, use it to help motivate you! 7 lbs in the 1st week is amazing! That alone is more than I've lost in my 1st month! Keep your head up and know you're not alone in your battle =)
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Hang in there..

Firstly, I weigh myself every day. And NO there is NOTHING wrong with this! This way I can see the fluctuations that happen and don't get upset over a one or two lb gain because I know it can be just water and it can be gone again in 2 days.

Secondly, how much beer did you drink? It's carbonated and can really bloat you up and show up on the scale as water - it's not necessarily a fat gain you had. Everyone has their preferences but generally if you want to drink, wine and spirits would be a better option. They don't call it a beer gut for no reason! :)
  • tsmith6569
    Options
    It is discouraging to see that first big chunk of weight lost, then have it slow down, but it is so much better to go slow and steady. The same way the weight went on is the same way the weight should come off. I have hit plateaus that lasted for several weeks (sometimes even months), but I kept on plugging along, eating right and exercising, not expecting but hoping for continued losses. It is STILL coming off and I have learned to just allow the time thats needed. Stay hopeful and best of luck!
  • Bluejay789
    Options
    Try adding sodium to your Diary as sodium can cause you to retain water. Personally for me I have always been a salt aholic .... meaning - up until 14 days ago when I read a post on sodium on MFP - I used to carry around a Sea Salt shaker in my lunch bag and salted everything.

The first week, I started watching my sodium, I did really good watching and exercising. Then I came down with a viral bug thanks to my neighbor.... and was not able to exercise. When I weighed on Friday, I had actually lost 2 pounds. I honestly think the 2 pounds were water weight from sodium retention. I could be wrong but I am just now well after 12 days of being sicked and only exercised twice. I have still lost 4 pounds in two weeks.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    First off, DON'T weight yourself other than your normal day. Because if it's going to upset you this much, it's not helping you.

Secondly, DON'T weight after the weekend. Because you have flucuations like this, especilly if you've acted like a normal person!

Remember this is a lifestyle change, not just a 'one week' change. It didn't come off this week. It probably will next week. Or the week after.

The exact same thing happened to me and I cried too so I do know how you feel. (and look at my stats after six weeks!)

Lastly, I'm posting a picture of what you've lost so far. Isn't that awesome?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScFVjIBGb7Ep_E79553EI-82wxbGYAoKJ5AMC5A1Pi7bbVY7AF