Sweat Free Exercises

Options
Hello everyone!

I have an auto-immune/inflammatory disorder of the skin that flares up when there is excess sweat. I was wondering if anyone had some exercises they do at home, without equipment or a lot of jumping preferably since we are on the top floor apartment, that don't lead to a lot of sweating? These flares are extremely painful and sometimes leave me unable to walk for x amount of days, so just ignoring it is not an option.

Thanks!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a pool?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Fans and ac? Any exercise is going to heat your body, so water exercise is a good idea.
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I don't sweat much when I do Pilates, and that's something you can easily do at home, following YouTube videos, no equipment required (except maybe for a floor mat).
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Classical Stretch videos are some of my faves for gentle exercise (especially during or after a fibro flare)... some are more strenuous/cardio based, but majority are strengthening through stretch and most times I don’t sweat (unless it’s already hot in the room).
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Tai chi, Qi Kong, Gyrokinesis.

But also, if appropriate for your skin, take a look at cooling vests and other wearable apparel to help regulate your body temperature when excercising.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    When I swim laps I do sweat quite profoundly. And even more so when I get out of the pool. What about getting a couple of heavier kettlebells and do very small number of exercises many times per day? Warming up would probably be a problem, especially for more advanced things such as snatches. Otherwise: walking on not sunny days?
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    This is more of a creative workaround... but if you live in an area where outdoors is too sweaty to walk, could you try mall walking in an air conditioned mall (sure, probably not open during lockdowns) or in the cold product aisles of a grocery store?

If the problem is sweat staying on skin and not the actual process of sweating, I’d suggest water sports where the water itself rinses off any sweat immediately. Also, in that case, some moisture-wicking sports clothing might help if you have the resources to get some and they don’t irritate your skin.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,516 Member
    Options
    Try one of the cooling scarfs. I think one is called Frog Togs. You dip them in water and wring them out and they keep you cool by evaporation. They really do work.

I need to find mine and haul it out to use this summer since I’m doing so much more walking and running, but since starting hot classes, I actually enjoy sweating. Yeah, I’m wierd.
  • Pawbulous
    Pawbulous Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the wonderful suggestions, everyone! My computer decided to break on me, so it has taken me a while to get back on here to see all of your awesome suggestions!
    Do you have access to a pool?
    Not at the moment due to our apartment facilities being closed due to COVID-19, but I definitely love to swim and will go to the pool as soon as it opens up. ^_^
    yirara wrote: »
    When I swim laps I do sweat quite profoundly. And even more so when I get out of the pool. What about getting a couple of heavier kettlebells and do very small number of exercises many times per day? Warming up would probably be a problem, especially for more advanced things such as snatches. Otherwise: walking on not sunny days?
    Anything outside will have me sweating profusely since I live in Alabama. You'll even sweat outside at midnight here in the summer because it's so hot and humid at the same time. The small exercises throughout the day may work well, though!
    hipari wrote: »
    This is more of a creative workaround... but if you live in an area where outdoors is too sweaty to walk, could you try mall walking in an air conditioned mall (sure, probably not open during lockdowns) or in the cold product aisles of a grocery store?

If the problem is sweat staying on skin and not the actual process of sweating, I’d suggest water sports where the water itself rinses off any sweat immediately. Also, in that case, some moisture-wicking sports clothing might help if you have the resources to get some and they don’t irritate your skin.
    I honestly didn't even think of walking around public places. We live relatively close to a Wal-Mart, so I could just start making more grocery trips per month instead of the big one or two trips per month I make right now.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    What goal are you try to accomplish?
    What equipment do you have access to?