Help

Options
I need help making healthier choices.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    The definition of "healthy" is going to vary from person to person.

For me, I look at my macro goals - protein fat, and carbs. I also like to meet fiber goals.

I started by tweaking my regular meals and snacks. Could I get more protein? or more fiber? that kind of thing. Whole grains, whole fruits and veggies are great for fiber.

My typical breakfast was a bowl of sugary cereal. Not only was that low protein, it was low fiber too. Not filling at all for me. So instead, I opt for Greek yogurt with berries and high fiber (cereal) sprinkles.

Take each meal and each snack and start to give it a makeover. I love pasta, but portion sizes are a bit small (to me). So I add some non-starchy veggies to bulk up the portion size without adding a ton of calories.
  • KrissFlavored
    KrissFlavored Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Healthy choices are going to be based on what you like not what others like..

I'm not a fruit eater and I have very few veggies that I like..

If people told me I had to eat fruit and veggies I didnt like to be eating healthy, I'd be either frustrated and quit or be miserable trying to eat them when I dont like them.

I hit my protein and fat goals fairly easily, and I'm a carb eater so i eat about 150 to 200g of carbs per day in bread, pasta and rice and treats. To me that's eating healthy, while someone else might suggest never touching a carb unless its fruit.. lol
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Make small changes. One at a time. Ones that you can keep up forever.

For example, maybe cut one soda out per day. Once that feels normal, then make one other small change, like maybe make sure there is always a vegetable with dinner. Once that feels normal, make another small change. Rinse and repeat.

Good luck!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    A good source for learning about "healthy" eating is Nutrition Source (https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/) Start with their "Healthy Eating Plate" as guidance. You can then read about the different categories of food and nutrients. This would get you started.