Lockdown weight gain and I feel miserable

Options
My SW was 20st and it took me 2 years to get rid of it. I got down to my lowest weight in November to 12st 11lbs with a strict diet and gym routine. Since lockdown I have almost gained a stone and I’ve never felt more miserable in my life. I deal with a lot of mental health issues and the gym was a big outlet for me. My clothes don’t fit like they used to, I feel I have more body fat from not weight lifting and my diet isn’t that same. Thought I don’t eat a huge amount it’s mostly high carb food. I know everyone is struggling at the moment but I don’t know how to feel better. I’ve tried going for a run but it doesn’t feel the same. I’m really really scared I will balloon back up to 20st again. I’ve tried fasting apps but they don’t seem to work. I know 12lbs isn’t a be all end all but it’s the fear of it being the start by the time this is all over. I’m struggling to even get out of bed at this point. Anyone have any advice that would help?

Replies

• thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I completely relate - lockdown has derailed my diet and I'm so much heavier. Not such a little heavier, but 'people-will-definitely-notice' heavier.

This is day three of me deciding to not let things continue. I've been logging things accurately, and started weighing everything. I think everyone has a certain point at which they can't bear things anymore and have to make a change. I hit mine. It sounds like you're at yours too.

12lb in the lockdown suggests you haven't just been inactive, you've been overeating - what are your triggers?

Bizarrely, I've found that when I wake up early and have breakfast, I'm still hungry and want to eat everything in sight. But if I do some cleaning or batch cooking (yes, going near food!) I get distracted from the task and don't shovel things down my mouth. There are certain times of the day when I'm more prone to boredom eating, and I need to make sure I'm doing something, anything, at those times, so I don't think about eating. Maybe this will help you too?

What's your current situation - are you working or not, are you by yourself or living with people...? There will be a reason to get out of bed and look after yourself, you just need to adapt it to your current circumstances.

I'm on my own, so it can be tempting to stay in bed and not even wash, but I work (from home), so that stops me from hiding in my pit all day. I have regular video calls with friends, so I have to get up and look presentable for those - they keep me healthy.

Did you go running before the lockdown too?
  • SummerTwentyOne
    SummerTwentyOne Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I completely relate - lockdown has derailed my diet and I'm so much heavier. Not such a little heavier, but 'people-will-definitely-notice' heavier.

This is day three of me deciding to not let things continue. I've been logging things accurately, and started weighing everything. I think everyone has a certain point at which they can't bear things anymore and have to make a change. I hit mine. It sounds like you're at yours too.

12lb in the lockdown suggests you haven't just been inactive, you've been overeating - what are your triggers?

Bizarrely, I've found that when I wake up early and have breakfast, I'm still hungry and want to eat everything in sight. But if I do some cleaning or batch cooking (yes, going near food!) I get distracted from the task and don't shovel things down my mouth. There are certain times of the day when I'm more prone to boredom eating, and I need to make sure I'm doing something, anything, at those times, so I don't think about eating. Maybe this will help you too?

What's your current situation - are you working or not, are you by yourself or living with people...? There will be a reason to get out of bed and look after yourself, you just need to adapt it to your current circumstances.

I'm on my own, so it can be tempting to stay in bed and not even wash, but I work (from home), so that stops me from hiding in my pit all day. I have regular video calls with friends, so I have to get up and look presentable for those - they keep me healthy.

Did you go running before the lockdown too?

Yeah I got furloughed from my job abroad and staying home with my family. They bake a lot and there’s always snacks. I tried running and it was awful but I know it’ll be fine once I get back into it. I’ve gone back to my old diet today to see if it will help and start running again tomorrow. Fingers crossed it’ll help. Thank you so much xx
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Hope you've have a good day so far.

Being furloughed means you have lots of free time - a blessing and a curse. When you're stuck inside and bored, try mapping out a new running route on Strava - you can easily 'waste' lots of time doing that and distract yourself from eating. You'll also end up with a new route to try at at the end of it, so not a complete loss.

Living with people can help you build a routine - routines are good. Just getting up and going to bed at similar times each day will really help your body behave itself and know when to expect to be hungry and when to expect to be fed.

As you know, it takes time to get back into a running routine and rebuilding that habit is really hard. Stick with it - it will eventually become less of a chore.

Same thing with the old diet - you're not trying anything new and scary. You're just trying to fall back into habits and routines that you know work for you. You've done this before, so you can do it again.
  • ERB2018
    ERB2018 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have gained weight in lockdown too. ☹️Not getting to gym is hard! A friend recommended the Centr app which has workouts you can do at home with no or very little equipment. So far I have tried a 3 of the workouts so far and it seems manageable. Mostly between 20-30 minutes long. Has anyone else got gym alternative suggestions?
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I'm back on track...I finally just snapped out of it. The fact is, if I kept eating like the first 8 weeks of this crisis until it ends.. ? I don't even want to think about it. I worked so hard to lose my weight and get in shape.. I'm not walking out of this situation back at square one.

I've got my food under control and started my exercise again. I'm lucky that my state is opening up and I can walk in the state park near my house again. I was enjoying going to planet fitness and taking daily classes ..and now they say they're not reopening in our area. However.. I wouldn't go to a gym anyway..the risk of getting the virus in a gym is medium to high risk. exercising outside is low risk..so try to find something you can do outside. My husband may get. a stationary bike for the back porch. lol.