Junk Food/Sugar "detox" Group

So I've been eating way too much junk food and chocolate. Every morning I wake up saying, not today! And then I do it again. I want to do a "detox" (really I hate that word, but I mean basically no added sugar, no junk food, for a week then we'll see).

I'm looking to start a high accountability group. Maybe a group chat. Maybe facebook. Maybe start a group here. I'm flexible. Basically where anyone can message/post about needing encouragement and others will have your back! But preferably something easy to see, with notifications.

Just support. No shaming.

Anyone interested?

Replies

• 2016goalreached
    2016goalreached Posts: 43 Member
    Yes! I am in! I do the exact same thing. Just tonight, I told my husband I wasn't going to do it, and not two hours later...I was making myself sick on sugar. I love the mindset of let's get through a week and see from there.
  • adelaidaairapetian
    adelaidaairapetian Posts: 6 Member
    I'm interested! Let me know if you have a group chat formed. I have a major sweet tooth that I need to control
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Do you two have a preferred platform? Also, what time zones if you don't mind me asking. I'm Eastern Daylight Time. I'm definitely thinking something free!
  • ChaleGirl
    ChaleGirl Posts: 270 Member
    I am trying to do the same at the moment. Throughout this lockdown, I have been stuffing my face. I find that my self discipline is so bad, that I cannot do the moderation thing well. I do better when I cut these foods out and only have them on special occasions. I also find that once I am out of the habit of eating these foods I'm ok. Its the initial "detox" period that is tough as you are trying to break habits!!
  • 2016goalreached
    2016goalreached Posts: 43 Member
    I am located in Mountain time zone. I don't mind sharing my phone number via private message, and we can text, but for full disclosure, I kind of suck at texting b/c I usually have more to say than I feel like texting. LOL I've enjoyed using this MFP messaging system here, which is basically like e-mail. I also have Skype. I'm open to however you want to communicate.

Gallicinvasion, how I wish I could moderate, rather than eliminate. I have a genuine addiction, and it's all or nothing for me. I've been working with a physician who specializes in metabolic dysfunction, and she's even steered me away from artificial sweeteners (even the "safe" ones) because they have the same effect on your brain chemistry as sugar does.

I'm 100% good with us starting with committing to a week because at that point, it's much easier to stay on track. Honestly, I can't remember when I got through one day, much less one week. I'm starting today - again! Let's do this, Ladies! I started my morning by trashing two cupcakes I had in my refrigerator, like really trashed in the outside can, which is being picked up shortly!

Meghan
  • kit_katty
    ChaleGirl, that's my thinking! It's the habit and the cravings... if I can go a week with no added sugar, no junk food, then hopefully I'll crave it less.

2016goalreached, exactly, I can't always do moderation. It depends what it is. But right now, for my issue foods, it's definitely closer to an addiction than something I can moderate.

So, does anyone have a preference on how we want to do this? We could start in a group here if people prefer? I just don't get notifications and I was hoping that we could use this group for pretty "right there" support.
  • kit_katty
    So, I'm doing well today so far! How are you doing?
  • timeforachange2000
    timeforachange2000 Posts: 6 Member
    I need this! Ever since this whole thing (virus lock down) started I have been terrible with sugar. What is everyone doing to prevent binging?
  • NatalieBkk
    NatalieBkk Posts: 21 Member
    I’m in!
  • NatalieBkk
    NatalieBkk Posts: 21 Member
    I also don’t get notifications and find MFP a bit fiddly for communication.
  • TrueGrit732
    TrueGrit732 Posts: 52 Member
    Count me in.
  • trebkat
    trebkat Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2020
    I think I would like to participate. I’m new to the community but I’m a hot mess with these sugar cravings and it’s having a negative impact on my health. So let’s do it. Can this be all cravings or just sugar? Or impulse control? I have issues in all the areas
  • trebkat
    trebkat Posts: 3 Member
    Every day is a new chance to learn self control. Starting fresh again today with hope to stick to my plan today of not eating excess sugar.
  • kit_katty
    I'll start a group here and then we can go from there! I'll let you know!
  • kit_katty
    I've made a group! Junk Food/Sugar "detox" High Accountability Group! Come on down!