Diet fatigue creeping in

Options
leelee_lani
leelee_lani Posts: 25 Member
edited May 2020 in Motivation and Support
I’m on the fourth month of logging in everyday and being committed to loosing weight. I’ve lost 22 lbs since January 27th and am kicking butt at working out, but I’m slipping in more calories and creeping towards a maintenance calorie count. I still have 40 lbs I’d like to lose so I can’t stop now. How the heck do I not over restrict and binge or fall back into my old habit of mindless eating? Ugh! I seem to never get over this 20lb weight loss mark and end up gaining it all back.
Have any of you found a way to eat some fun foods without going overboard? I know compete restriction back fires for me and doesn’t make sense for the long run. But I’m eating a little here and there and the calories are adding up. Getting discouraged. How about setting a day a week or month for fun foods?? Trying to find a way to not restrict and binge and keep myself in a deficit. Thanks!

Replies

• goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I dont have the most experience with this (since logging for a full month seems unimaginable) however I do relate to feeling fatigued with logging. I used to play with 1-2 days logging, 1-2 days off. So, this is my idea—
    In training I take a recovery week every 4 weeks. Maybe do the same? Give yourself maintenance calories for 5-7 days and be extra kind during that time: walk and stretch more, cook for joy and add a little more fat, self-care and find a peaceful headspace. Take your time and then return to deficit.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Hmm, if you have not already then be sure to recalculate your BMI and activity levels every other month or so, at least.

At this point, you may need more food anyway in order to reach your goals.

I know it sounds crazy but you may get to a point where eating back your "exercise calories" will allow a lot more flexibility with food...and still make you lose weight, body fat, etc.
  • leelee_lani
    leelee_lani Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    Hmm, if you have not already then be sure to recalculate your BMI and activity levels every other month or so, at least.

At this point, you may need more food anyway in order to reach your goals.

I know it sounds crazy but you may get to a point where eating back your "exercise calories" will allow a lot more flexibility with food...and still make you lose weight, body fat, etc.

Thanks, I recently updated my goals which is 1310/day and I always eat back my exercise calories. I just have been going over my count more lately and am afraid of slipping down the slippery slope.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Have you toyed with the idea of maintaining where you are for a month or two..even more? Then you can start reducing when you feel totally fine with the idea. At least you won't gain it all back...and in the meantime you can work on new healthy recipes and your workouts.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I wanted to add, if you've lost 22 lbs since Jan 27, you've been losing at a pace of 2 lbs per week. With 20 lbs left to go,that is a very aggressive rate of loss. As others have said, a diet break for a couple of weeks where you purposefully eat your maintenance calories might be a good idea. Then change your goal to 1 lb per week. Often when people try to lose quickly, they hit the wall and quit before they reach goal.

I'm another one who ate all the stuff I loved while losing weight. Learning how to eat in a way I enjoyed at the right calorie level was a huge eye opener for me, and it set me up for an easier time transitioning to maintenance too
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I also agree with taking maintenance periods for as long as you want or need to. I did this accidentally when I was losing but purposeful periods on the way down Are beneficial for hormonal and psychological reasons
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Resurrecting this thread since I am going through a bad bout of diet fatigue just now. I've stayed more or less on track for 6 months now - losing 60 lbs. I need to lose 50 more, but suddenly it seems harder and harder to stay on track.

I am by no means giving up, but I do need some effective strategies for getting through this rough patch. I know I'd do better with a concrete plan than struggling daily and possibly facing failure.

So what has worked for you? Powering through with even stricter diet parameters for a week so that returning to 'regular dieting' feels luxurious? Setting short term mini-goals? Going into maintenance mode for a week? Moving your daily calorie load around?

• Oliveciabatta
    Oliveciabatta Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I try to keep under my calories 6 days out of 7. I let my hair down on a Saturday as I spend time with my partner and allow for a leisurely lunch out or a takeaway and a day off training. I still keep to near abouts my limit but I won't worry if I slip over by a little as I tend to train hard on a Sunday going horseriding or long bike rides so I figure the extra calories the night before are no great worry. Maybe it isn't the best idea for all but it certainly makes for better relationship with him if I'm not stressed about what I'm eating while we are making time for each other.
  • kimny72
    Options
    MsCzar wrote: »
    Resurrecting this thread since I am going through a bad bout of diet fatigue just now. I've stayed more or less on track for 6 months now - losing 60 lbs. I need to lose 50 more, but suddenly it seems harder and harder to stay on track.

I am by no means giving up, but I do need some effective strategies for getting through this rough patch. I know I'd do better with a concrete plan than struggling daily and possibly facing failure.

So what has worked for you? Powering through with even stricter diet parameters for a week so that returning to 'regular dieting' feels luxurious? Setting short term mini-goals? Going into maintenance mode for a week? Moving your daily calorie load around?

Have you taken a diet break? You have been losing at a very fast clip for a long time, and in addition to being psychologically hard it can take a toll on your energy level and hormonal balance.

Try eating at maintenance for a couple of weeks, then consider reducing your goal to 1.5 lbs per week. Your rate of loss should continue to slow down as you get closer to goal, and take a week or two at maintenance every few months as well.

Congrats on your success so far!
  • MsCzar
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Thanks! I think of my weight loss as terribly slooooow. But I guess it's not been really.

I've been aiming for 1000 calories a day but usually end up overshooting that to 1200 3-4 days a week. I eat only two meals a day taken between 11AM and 6PM - calories pretty evenly split. Also doing 30 minutes of cardio every day. Until now, it's been surprisingly painless.

However, after six months of relatively clean eating, I am beginning to crave junk food and winter comfort foods. So far, I've fought it by adding most of my calories to my first meal to feel very full - but then it takes a will of steel to get through the rest of the day with only broth, plain hot tea and a little steamed veg.

I'm past the half-way point to my goal. It's frustrating since I think I should totally have this in hand by now.
  • kimny72
    edited November 2020
    Options
    MsCzar wrote: »
    Thanks! I think of my weight loss as terribly slooooow. But I guess it's not been really.

I've been aiming for 1000 calories a day but usually end up overshooting that to 1200 3-4 days a week. I eat only two meals a day taken between 11AM and 6PM - calories pretty evenly split. Also doing 30 minutes of cardio every day. Until now, it's been surprisingly painless.

However, after six months of relatively clean eating, I am beginning to crave junk food and winter comfort foods. So far, I've fought it by adding most of my calories to my first meal to feel very full - but then it takes a will of steel to get through the rest of the day with only broth, plain hot tea and a little steamed veg.

I'm past the half-way point to my goal. It's frustrating since I think I should totally have this in hand by now.

You are struggling because, if your calorie counting is accurate, you have been undereating. Consequences like hair loss, muscle fatigue, depression, and hormonal imbalance can take a while to present, but once they do it can take months to recover.

Except for people who are obese, losing an avg of one lb per week or so is realistic and healthy weight loss. Fast weight loss due to undereating will leave you with a lot of muscle loss along with possibly some of the above symptoms, making it way harder to keep the weight off. You will do yourself a world of good by eating at a healthier calorie goal and weight loss pace. Eat foods you like. Take breaks. Check out the Most Helpful Posts threads pinned to the top of each sub-forum, lots of great info there.

Weight loss might be a finite process, but maintaining a healthy weight is something you never get to stop doing. Try thinking about this as a process of figuring out how you are going to eat and be active for the rest of your life, not just an annoying process to rush thru until you hit some goal and then can forget about. I only had 20 lbs to lose and it took me over a year, and it's cool because that process made the years I've been maintaining now easier :smile:
  • MsCzar
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Except for people who are obese, losing an avg of one lb per week or so is realistic and healthy weight loss. Fast weight loss due to undereating will leave you with a lot of muscle loss along with possibly some of the above symptoms, making it way harder to keep the weight off.

Definitely obese here. Still am. I've lost 60 lbs. with 50 more to go and am terrified of backsliding. I'll check out the recommended threads for sure. Thanks!

• angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    May eat it but learn to decrease the portion or you could calorie cycle like 1300 1300 1600 1300 1300 1600 2300. This works too with carb cycling