Water storage weight gain.

lsjs87
lsjs87 Posts: 12 Member
I have been dieting and exercising for a week now and am wondering if there are any tips other than diuretics (which I can't take) for getting rid of water storage. I know I need to drink more but I am finding I'm not really losing any weight and obv it's not muscle gain after a week lol so I was thinking maybe it's water??? I'm only aiming to lose a lb to 2lb a week but I've been under my calories every day as well as doing at least half hour to an hour of exercise each day. My carb count has been good too. Ignore the weight loss on my profile. My scales were broken. Gutted haha.

Replies

• lsjs87
    lsjs87 Posts: 12 Member
    Will try to drink more then. It prob is due to feeding more cos.of the exercise. Thanks everyone x
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    Water retention at times is a thing that normal, healthy bodies do routinely, as part of the process of staying normal and healthy. Don't try to game that . . . try to understand it, and let it happen as needed. This would be a good thing to read:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations

One to two pounds loss a week is not "only" one to two pounds: Two pounds is aggressive, about the fastest rate most people should be doing, and then only if substantially obese. More than that would be ill advised to do more than very, very briefly (like a week or two) unless under very close medical supervision. (Don't believe everything reality TV shows, blogs and celebrity IG influencers say about weight loss rate!)

Sardelsa is right, if you're breast feeding, that's a particularly good reason not to worry about water weight, but to keep weight loss rate slow and gradual.

Slow and steady wins this race, for people who want to stay healthy all the way to the finish line. Best wishes!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    2 pounds a week is not an "ONLY" as in only trying to lose 2 pounds per week. This creates a very large 1000 calorie deficit per day. It will impact your energy and hormone levels. If additional energy demands like breastfeeding have not been considered you could be in an even steeper deficit.

Water weight needs to fluctuate. That is how your body operates. It is only if you gain a substantial amount like more than 10 pounds do you need to to be concerned and that should be evaluated by a doctor.