COVID-19 Barbell Training

Shortly after the gyms closed here, I ordered an Olympic barbell. It finally came yesterday and I'm looking for training suggestions. I also have a small assortment of plates (including bumper) that I had been incorporating into body weight exercises until now.

Prior to the lock down I had been doing StrongLifts 5x5 and then MadCow. I don't have a squat rack so I can't do heavy squats.

I have read and own copies of Starting Strength, Practical Programming for Strength Training and The Barbell Prescription.

I have practiced power cleans a little, but have previously focused more on squats, overhead presses, bench presses, barbell rows and deadlifts.

Thanks!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Do you have a bench?

I really like Oly lifting, so if it were me I'd focus largely on deadlifts, clean and jerks, front squats, and snatches if you're up for them.
  • jeffrey_ad
    jeffrey_ad Posts: 789 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Do you have a bench?

I really like Oly lifting, so if it were me I'd focus largely on deadlifts, clean and jerks, front squats, and snatches if you're up for them.

@cwolfman13 Thanks! No bench either.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    You already seem to have all the training info you need but you can't make full use of the info w/o a rack and bench and maybe more plates depending on how much you can lift. So, I'd focus on getting the gear you need 1st.
  • RepswithRyan
    RepswithRyan Posts: 171 Member
    Power clean to front squat, power clean to push press to get the weight on your back.

It will be more difficult than lifting it from a squat rack and you will have to go lighter.
    Check out Greg Everrett for videos on the correct form before you start Olympic lifting as the movements are different.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    If you are short on plates for heavy stuff then you can always do landmine deadlifts or presses, since you can load the plates you have on the one end of the bar.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,325 Member
    There are a load of online training programmes for oly lifting, from Greg Everett to Shenzhen Weightlifting. Have a look at their stuff, their programmes are brutal just using the empty bar to get the techniques. I’m more exhausted after an oly hour with 20kg than deadlifting / squatting my max!
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Floor press
    Standing press
    RDL
    Deadlifts
    Row
    Upright row
    Bb curl
    Basic Standard oly movments etc

Then just the plates for smaller movements
    Like side lateral realises etc
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    There are some decent videos on how to build your own squat rack and platform on youtube if you have access to some basic tools e.g., saw, drill, etc..

Search "DIY squat rack".

It's fairly cheap considering the alternative of a rogue rack.

Though Starting Strength may be a okay program for beginners, their books are other than SS is not the best source for info especially on programming. Once again for a novel lifter(fine), once you are past the novel stage I would highly recommend looking else where for programming that is backed by evidence.

I believe BBM has a decent free program for home training written for people dealing with this COVID19 situation without equipment.

https://www.barbellmedicine.com/blog/how-to-exercise-at-home/

I would honestly start there for many options of how to train for long term. When their are others with really good info, I lean towards them for people in your situation for quality info as a base.

Not knowing the load you have access to here are some lifts you might be able to use within a program.

Squats- tempo, pauses, front, zercher,
    Dealifts- deficits, tempo, pauses, snatch grip, RDL, stiff leg
    Row variations
    Press variations off a bench, cooler, floor