What’s your favorite outdoor activity?

Options
baylsjem
baylsjem Posts: 13 Member
I live in Utah, and I cannot be more grateful. The outdoor and recreational activities are endless. I just finished a 2 mile nature walk right out my back door! I have 4 large lakes within 30 miles of each other. 2 hours north is Bear Lake. 5 hours south is red rock. 😍 It’s a great feeling! It’s exercise without feeling like exercise. 🌲
What cool outdoor activities does your hometown have to offer? Pictures welcome!

Replies

• ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I live in a small town in Northwest Indiana, but we have decent beaches and trails around. I love to run outside and now that winter is finally going away I can enjoy outside running more.
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    My favorite outdoor activity is going back inside.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options
    I live in the Netherlands. It's flat. I still enjoy being outside. Longer walks on a weekend day (mostly geocaching), bit of running, cycling, inline skating. Plus it's normally a very short trip to other countries.
    c72y4g34ciuy.jpg
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Cycling and mountain biking. I enjoy hiking as well, but it's an activity that I need to plan for more time than I usually have on an average day. We do most of our hiking when we're out camping, though we've gone to the mountains a few times over the weekends to do some family hikes since there really isn't anything else going on with this whole coronavirus thing.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Probably running walking and swimming. Looking forward to pools opening!
  • baylsjem
    baylsjem Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love all these! Beautiful places everywhere 😍 AMAZING! Keep it up y’all.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Driving one of my 2 seat sport cars w/the top down and hiking. Sometimes do both on the same day. ;)
  • xGreatWhiteNorthx
    xGreatWhiteNorthx Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    We have thousands of lakes, steep cliffs etc.

I love everything from hiking, SUPing, cliff jumping, kayaking and canoeing, ice climbing, survivalist camping, hunting, fishing, exploring etc7hd1ff4p8a9g.jpg
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options
    Oh dammit! Why do you all have some fab nature? This was part of my walk last Saturday:

rws03gkd7sh4.jpg
    ao5o29nvnzal.jpg

My planned trip for the coming weekend might have a bit of inland sand dunes. As in: an area of 1kmx600m with a bit less vegetation *sigh*

/landscape envy
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Walking my dog! There’s nothing like enjoying an activity, looking over at your best friend and seeing they enjoy it even more than you do :smiley:
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    Hiking and/or backpacking. I used to be a long distance backpacker and when we weren't backpacking we'd go for a good hike every week. Now my husband can't do any of that, I'm lucky if I get a short hike every month or so. I miss it more than I can say. In lieu of hiking, I run and walk the dog in the neighborhood, but it's not the same as being in the mountains.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    mountain biking. This is the first year I have been able to get back into it in 16 years. Last year at this time, I was only little over a month into my journey and was only walking. Now I hit the trails almost every day. I forgot how many muscles it works besides my legs. Overall a great workout! Very thankful to be able to do it again in my mid 50s!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    baylsjem wrote: »
    I live in Utah, and I cannot be more grateful. The outdoor and recreational activities are endless. I just finished a 2 mile nature walk right out my back door! I have 4 large lakes within 30 miles of each other. 2 hours north is Bear Lake. 5 hours south is red rock. 😍 It’s a great feeling! It’s exercise without feeling like exercise. 🌲
    What cool outdoor activities does your hometown have to offer? Pictures welcome!

I live in Wisconsin and the outdoor activities depend on the season. I can walk and hike any time. If we got snow, I can still hit the trails with snowshoes but it does depend on the trail because many are groomed for cross country skiing and snowshoes will mess them up. I do not ski (cross country or downhill) but there are a lot of places for either. One thing I do enjoy when I go Up North is dogsledding.

In the summer, I am an avid swimmer. Many of our lakes have beaches and I also swim in non-designated swim areas with a safety float so boats will see me. I also enjoy kayaking and canoeing. We have so many lakes and rivers that are beautiful from the water. Some of the larger rivers have sandbars where we stop and camp out overnight. The swimming season is only about 3 months but canoeing and kayaking can be done as long as the ice is off the water (March-April through October).

My avatar is me kayaking Lake Superior around the Apostle Islands August, 2015 when the temps were 90° F

Here I am, also at the Apostle Islands, in March 2015 when the temps were -10° F
    gn383aujvbmp.jpg

• mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Cycling (road and trail), swimming (mostly ocean - live at the Shore), sailing (boat owner). I do some lite hiking and walking as well, but I'd rather travel on wheels or a keel than on my feet.

o1aonhhdh5hl.jpg