Stopp stressing, weightloss takes time

Options
I see a lot of topics about people not loosing enough, not loosing fast enough or not loosing at all and all I have to say to you is BE PATIENT! I know you are dying to get in to shape, maybe you have a party, wedding, date or something else coming up where you want to show off your new smoking hot body, but stressing the weightloss process will only slow your weight loss down.

Weightloss takes time, its the first thing you have to realize. The faster you grasp this, the better. Of course youre able to loose a pound or two in the first week, but the real results most often show after four weeks or more. Give yourself at least 3 months, thats the time it takes to see any major changes in your body.

Hang in there, a change is gonna come! :tongue:

Replies

• HeatherrSue
    HeatherrSue Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Very well said. I always tell everyone, slow and steady. Set reasonable goals and just stick with it. Besides, the slower you lose it and let your body adjust over time, the better the chance of it staying off.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that. I know you're right. I'm trying to not make the numbers my focus. Still....
  • MoonIite
    MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Amen! Seriously, 20-50 lbs didn't appear overnight so they won't disappear overnight either. People need to realize that slower weight loss (especially when you don't have much to lose) is better as it is more likely to stay off. Who wants to keep yo-yo dieting for the rest of their life?
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Amen sister - studies have shown that the slower you lose you the weight the more likely you are to keep it off. The people who are dropping massive weight are likely doing so unhealthily and will likely gain it all back in time. I am making a change for a life, not just a few months!
  • servingothers
    servingothers Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I needed that reminder today. Thank You!!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I agree. Additionally it's easier when it is done slowly. If you do it right it won't even feel like a diet. It also stays off easier since you are going on a "diet" and then going "off". The difference between losing and maintaining will be very small and easy.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I totally agree.

You didn't put this weight on overnight, you certainly won't get it off overnight. Slow and steady weight loss = healthy weight loss. And healthy weight loss is the key to successful maintenance. :)
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Agreed as well.

Patience coupled with consistency (not perfection) are your biggest friends in this game...
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Well said! :flowerforyou:

I set myself goals but when I miss them well as long as I'm losing and going in the right direction I let 'em go. They are only there to keep me on track and imagining my weight at a certain time. I am more than capable of gaining more in a week than I lose.. that is just my 'skill' :laugh: but as long as I stay true to myself I'll lose weight.

Well done everyone on your losses.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I've lost 16 pounds in 9 months.

Is it slow....you bet
    Is it anoying......yep
    Do I want to be smoking hot RIGHT NOW? YES!!!!

But it's ok.... I am still 16 pounds less than I was 9 months ago. The alternative is to have gained weight.
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Well said, I am not really stressed about this... I know it takes time. I mean I didn't gain my weight over night I gained weight over months.. But some times I do wish it could hurry but I know that doesn't happen. It probably take me atleast 1-2 1/2 years to lose or more.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Good reminder. I've been getting down since starting MFP because I lost so much weight pre-MFP, but now I'm down to the pounds that are going to take more work. I keep reminding myself of that because if I didn't I would be very discouraged. But it helps that I exercise and I know my endurance is better and it seems like my legs and arms are more defined - so that really keeps me motivated even when the scale doesn't move.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I believe in the slow route. I'm not trying to get a hot body. My body is always hot, no matter what size I am. I'm not aiming to lose scale weight, I'm aiming to lose body fat percentage and pounds of fat. I know that it will take me a year or so to get to my body fat percentage goal and I'm okay with that.

I don't diet. I don't believe in diets. I believe in a lifestyle. I eat my version of healthy.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    So true. i lost over 7 stone over three years, rather than opting for the quick fix. I have put 2 of those back on due to pregnancy and being a bit lazy. Most of my mates for have gone for the quick option are heavier than ever. Saying that I still have to keep telling myself this. Today I can't stop eating and I feel guilty but I have to take into acccount how much exercise I do it is hard to not feel guilty x
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    I needed this! Thanks for reminding me and encouraging me to keep going! :)
  • Spedden
    Spedden Posts: 207
    Options
    Thanks for posting! Great reminder!