Running Shoes - which color do you like?

goatg
goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
edited May 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
Disclaimer: this is pure vanity and I make no bones about it!

I’m getting some custom orthotics in running shoes and, given that I’ve had some problems running, am hoping this pair will help and be with me for some years to come.

I race tris and do care about my appearance in finisherpix. Stupid, silly, vain, yes yes yes. But I care! So, my usual colors are black and some hot pink. I like both a solid black with pops of color look and the flexibility to play with colors. So, I think the orange running shoe would be that pop of color but also limit my ability to play with other colors.

Anyway. Which do you like, aesthetically? Black or orange?

qf1hg45vobh9.png
lospl1xg40xh.png

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I don't normally like black clothing because it's so common, but the others are too loud for my taste.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,094 Member
    That orange is way too loud for me, lol. Definitely the black in this case! And way easier to match with colorful clothing.

• ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I prefer neutral colors like black or gray and don't really care for the flashy neon stuff. That said, I usually end up with the bright flashy neon stuff because it's usually on sale because apparently it's not most people's cup of tea either and I can't ever make myself pay more for a preference for something I just wear for that specific purpose.

My Nike Metcons I use in the weight room look like someone vomited on them...but they were $30 cheaper than what I would have preferred.

I prefer black too (gray not so much). A majority of my running shorts (>90%) are black, so I can wear black shoes, black shorts, and a flashy shirt in any color. From the shoes you presented OP I kind of like the orange though.
  • goatg
    Thanks for the input :) I kind of like the orange too but decided to go with the black; can always play with laces it I really want to :)
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    When I buy online I always get black (unless the really ugly redish-brown ones with the orange racing stripe down the middle are $75 cheaper :p ). When I buy from my local running stores I don't really care. I get what is in stock in my size. And when I get my racing shoes I get whatever dreadfully bright color Nike came up with this year. B)
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    goatg wrote: »
    Thanks for the input :) I kind of like the orange too but decided to go with the black; can always play with laces it I really want to :)

Good call... much better chance of your kit/suit having black in it than orange.

And cheers to the vain-at-the-finish-line group!
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    My current shoes are bright orange.
    Then again I often wear hot Pink legwarmers so I'm not really one to shy away from colours. 🤣😂
  • goatg
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

And cheers to the vain-at-the-finish-line group!

😂 gotta’ get our priorities in order 😉
  • Tausi
    Tausi Posts: 35 Member
    Bright Orange
  • Mrs_Addams
    Mrs_Addams Posts: 9 Member
    I always go for bright colours if I get the option! My previous running shoes were a neon orangey-pink and I loved them! My current pair are white with purple speckle and whilst they're comfy, they're just not quite as fun as a really loud pair.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Black as a raven’s wing at midnight
  • NorthCascades
    I just bought a pair of New Balance 840v4. I have a tendon injury and needed specific things in a shoe.

Due to social distancing, the store is closed except for curbside pickup, but because of the situation they worked with me. I showed up, they gave me some boxes, told me to go try them on in my car and walk around for a while in each pair. I tried to give them my ID and debit card so they wouldn't have to worry that I'd steal them, but they wouldn't have it.

I got black. Not my favorite color for clothing, but my old shoes were worn out and would give me pain every time I used them.

🙂
  • NorthCascades
    I prefer neutral colors like black or gray and don't really care for the flashy neon stuff. That said, I usually end up with the bright flashy neon stuff because it's usually on sale because apparently it's not most people's cup of tea either and I can't ever make myself pay more for a preference for something I just wear for that specific purpose.

My Nike Metcons I use in the weight room look like someone vomited on them...but they were $30 cheaper than what I would have preferred.

I must be especially OCD then, but I'm a road cyclist so I guess that's a given. I bought a jacket last fall that I've only used for skiing and might not use for any other purpose. It was on sale, different colors at different prices, I spent extra for a shade of blue I really liked. Then I bought the same jacket in the same color again (clearance this time) because I knew eventually the first one would wear out, and they've discontinued the color. In my defense, it works really well.
  • goatg

I just bought a pair of New Balance 840v4. I have a tendon injury and needed specific things in a shoe.

Due to social distancing, the store is closed except for curbside pickup, but because of the situation they worked with me. I showed up, they gave me some boxes, told me to go try them on in my car and walk around for a while in each pair. I tried to give them my ID and debit card so they wouldn't have to worry that I'd steal them, but they wouldn't have it.

I got black. Not my favorite color for clothing, but my old shoes were worn out and would give me pain every time I used them.

🙂

That’s awesome. Running store folks are consistently some of the nicest/most helpful people. Dunno why.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,546 Member
    edited May 2020
    Both! Obviously! You can then even mix and match!!!!! :smiley:

fashion advice from a guy?!?!? :hushed:
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,861 Member
    edited May 2020

As black as possible, so it can blend into other more casual attire.

Air Pegasus 36 are my favourite kicks.

ev1bjrxqymoc.jpeg
    j62uiuj0h85f.jpeg
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    I love having different colours for my shoes It helps the identification and keeping rotation. Having said that I do prefer the purple and blue ones. I don't like white and bright orange and greens, but I never like those in any type of clothing so it is about consistency there.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I tend to think of black as more neutral. You don't have to worry about a violent clash of colors with your shorts or shirt, as one might have with a neon orange shoe. (Says a man who owns a pair of bright orange, New Balance, running shoes.)
    But, in sports, we always thought that black shoes look heavier, and therefore make you look slower than someone in a light colored shoe. Hence, we thought it was an advantage. In a black shoe you look heavy and clunky, but you're not! Surprise!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

I must be especially OCD then, but I'm a road cyclist so I guess that's a given. I bought a jacket last fall that I've only used for skiing and might not use for any other purpose. It was on sale, different colors at different prices, I spent extra for a shade of blue I really liked. Then I bought the same jacket in the same color again (clearance this time) because I knew eventually the first one would wear out, and they've discontinued the color. In my defense, it works really well.

I'm just a really frugal, fiscally conservative accountant.

That said, a jacket might be a different story...I wouldn't buy a jacket that looks like my puke Metcons, even if it was on sale. Shoes are at least small and down on my feet, so far less in your face than a jacket of some odd color of neon...IDK, kinda looks like neon water with bright neon yellow trimming and some standard neon green markings. They are literally the most hideous shoes on the planet