Your new ways to stay fit since CV?

Options
eccentricplaza
eccentricplaza Posts: 115 Member
edited May 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
Gyms have been closed—but in some areas (including near me) they're starting to reopen. While they were closed I decided to give pole dancing a try since someone was selling their AW pole for half the original price. It's a ton of fun and it's something I'm going to keep doing.

Anyone else explored other ways to stay fit and will keep doing that (including incorperatong into previous workout routines) after gyms open again?

Replies

• suzanne63
    suzanne63 Posts: 616 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Hi I have been doing many exercise DVDs and Youtube video's.There are so many out there.You will never get bored.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,866 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    It is basically the same, I do all of it outside on the bike or just running. It's been great for getting people on bikes actually. I never "got" the gym, I tried a couple of times but it just bored me.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    YouTube is my new best friend
  • eccentricplaza
    Options
    YouTube is my new best friend

Is it the kind of thing you'll keep using when gyms reopen?

• MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Rainbow we should totally jump rope together sometime. I bet you float like a butterfly and sting like a bee!

Jump Rope n calisthenics for me. I've lost 13 lbs over Covid
  • LM_hustle
    LM_hustle Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have been walking my entire neighborhood because theres less people and for me, less people equals good for me. I also bought a punching bag which is actually great cardio.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Not too much has changed for me. Still lifting in my home gym, walking, being active. I have added some cardio dance and ab workouts on YouTube since there are so many that pop up these days. So that is fun.
  • eccentricplaza
    Options
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    More Youtube videos! There are so many different options! There are also a lot of trainers I discovered who are putting up workouts too.

My library has a lot of online resources and access to other online platforms (apps and streaming). Some of which have fitness workouts on them so I've been taking advantage of that

I have a nice backyard so I setup up an area for me to get in some backyard workouts in. I do things like jump rope, burpees, walking lunges (with or without weights), farmer walks with a heavy kettlebell, jump squats, plyometrics etc. I'm also able get in some vitamin d and some fresh air.

I do a lot of live workouts online, whether it a class on Zoom from people I know or from people I follow on Youtube or IG, I have a weekly schedule of live workouts that I do. And I build my fitness routine around those classes. I'm loving these live workouts and I'm meeting some nice fitness people too. :smile:

I am having such a great time with my workouts!

I used to do backyard workouts when I had a backyard (not anymore). It was nicely fenced in so I could also get a nice tan in my bikini without feeling weird!

• eccentricplaza
    Options
    LM_hustle wrote: »
    I have been walking my entire neighborhood because theres less people and for me, less people equals good for me. I also bought a punching bag which is actually great cardio.

Fun! hanging or standup?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Used this period of time since it turned into a off season with my meets postponed to explore a couple more lifts less specific to powerlifting.

I train at home with basically same equipment and my programming still changes as variables weave in and out of my response to training.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    It is basically the same, I do all of it outside on the bike or just running. It's been great for getting people on bikes actually. I never "got" the gym, I tried a couple of times but it just bored me.

I'm loving my additional saddle time. I do wish more of the newbies would wear helmets!
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I managed to buy a few bits of kit before everything disappeared so I now have a suspension trainer, pull up bar and a dumbbell/barbell combo. A few other bits of kit, too. I am enjoying working out in my garden more than I expected and will certainly continue doing that occasionally.
  • eccentricplaza
    Options
    SnifterPug wrote: »
    I managed to buy a few bits of kit before everything disappeared so I now have a suspension trainer, pull up bar and a dumbbell/barbell combo. A few other bits of kit, too. I am enjoying working out in my garden more than I expected and will certainly continue doing that occasionally.

I was able to snag a chin up bar for my doorframe and an extra heavy leg resistance band. But as for a garden, you are lucky! I have a tiny patio in front of a parking lot (I live in an apartment complex).

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The gym hasn't been a particularly significant portion of my fitness and exercise regimen for years. I lift with a trainer once per week and then was lifting on my own once per week. Now my PT comes over to the house on Fridays and she and my wife and I workout in the garage and driveway. She and her husband own a small personal training gym so when they open we will continue to do that on Fridays...I won't be going back to my big commercial gym anytime soon though. Even in the best of times, those gyms are a pitre dish and I'm not going to be comfortable in a setting with hundreds of people for a long time I think.

Most of my exercise and fitness is on my road bike or mountain bike...I've been riding for years and it is the most substantial component of my fitness, so not much has really changed for me except missing the 1x per week in the weight room at my big box gym.
  • rainingribbons
    rainingribbons Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    When the gyms closed I saw something on here for a 2 week beachbody free trial. Decided to try that, see how I liked it, and ended up really loving the lifting program I'd started there. Even if the gyms open before I finish the program I plan to see it to completion and then re-evaluate, but I'm having really good progress with it and may end up doing a second round instead.
  • eccentricplaza
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I won't be going back to my big commercial gym anytime soon though. Even in the best of times, those gyms are a pitre dish and I'm not going to be comfortable in a setting with hundreds of people for a long time I think.

Pitre dish! I've never gotten sick from the gym. That's unfortunate. But at least it wasn't significant then.

When the gyms closed I saw something on here for a 2 week beachbody free trial. Decided to try that, see how I liked it, and ended up really loving the lifting program I'd started there. Even if the gyms open before I finish the program I plan to see it to completion and then re-evaluate, but I'm having really good progress with it and may end up doing a second round instead.

I hear good reviews about the workouts.

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The only thing I'm really doing differently is getting out for my rides at the crack of dawn when there's no on else about. Many people seem to be taking their furloughs like a holiday and, on a nice day, there are far too many people using the MUPs for my liking. Other than that I've been an early morning runner for years so that hasn't changed and my weights are in the garage (I never enjoyed going to the gym at the best of times having to wait for equipment, people who don't wipe down after using etc etc)
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    It is hard to get a tennis court at my local park since the gyms have closed. So we tried the handball/squash courts (with our tennis racquets/balls). We found some killer cardio.

Note: Rules are posted on how to play while adhering to social distancing and I live with my partner, so playing it safer.