Ovarian Cysts and Exercise

Options
I have had an ovarian cyst for a few months now. It is about 5cm in diameter so pretty decent size. For a month it was so painful I would fall over from the pain. Then for the two months following it seemed to stop hurting. Now that I have increased my exercise it is going back to the days of severe tear creating pain.

Has anyone else had bad symptoms from exercise because of their cysts? I am going to schedule another check up but every time I go, they just tell me to wait another month and take high doses of Ibuprofen (which I do not do because I like knowing what's going on with my body).

I am not exaggerating the pain, if anyone here has had a painful cyst, you know what I'm talking about. Like a knife twisting in your womb.

Replies

• beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I had mine all burned off during a laparoscopic procedure. Changed my life.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Everyone I know who's had them that bad has had them removed. Otherwise I would just talk with your doctor and let him know about the exercise and pain.
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys...I guess its time to get pushy when I go in...I just thought about it and I have actually had this cyst for 6 months already!
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    wow I have PCOS and I don't have the pain that bad. I would get pushy with your dr
  • donkeygrl
    donkeygrl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Agreed with the others - push the doc! Or get another opinion!
    I had one a few years ago and it had to be removed along with my ovary. Then just this past month I had another one that was over 2 pounds on my other ovary and ended up having a full hysterectomy :-(

It was the worse pain I have ever had in my life. I am glad it is gone! And yes it really bothered me during exercise.
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Agreed with the others - push the doc! Or get another opinion!
    I had one a few years ago and it had to be removed along with my ovary. Then just this past month I had another one that was over 2 pounds on my other ovary and ended up having a full hysterectomy :-(

It was the worse pain I have ever had in my life. I am glad it is gone! And yes it really bothered me during exercise.

Wow! I'm sorry you had to go through all that :(
  • Kimipeli808
    Kimipeli808 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My 13 year old daughter has one that is 6-7cm that sort of comes and goes with ovulation. The 10 days surrounding ovulation she has the pain you described and has to take Vicodin to control it. On Tuesday we have another appointment and they are going to put her on birth control pills to try to shrink it. If after 3 months that has not made a MAJOR improvement she will have surgery to remove it. The cyst has really limited what she is able to do. She used to ride her horses everyday, and LOVED PE in school. Now she can't do them much at all :( She BEGS the doctor to have it removed every time she has an episode.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    I, too, have PCOS, and have had terrible pain. When I was in high school, I played volleyball, and would literally double over and vomit on the spot from pain sometimes. Not so fun. I know what you mean. I've had a total of 14 surgeries, the latest being a partial hysterectomy. It's the best thing I have ever done in my whole life! I already have 2 kids though, so I didn't need those ovaries anymore anyway!

I'd definitely talk with your dr. and let them know how severe it is and that you'd really like to have them removed. Now, surgeries are so much easier, as you can have it done either robotically or laproscopically. So much easier than being cut open! I had to be cut open for the first 13 surgeries. :-( Yuck!! The last one, and incidentally the "biggest" surgery was robotic, and it was SO EASY! Back to "me" in about 2 weeks!

Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon!
  • sctlvrdl
    sctlvrdl Posts: 3
    Options
    I was just diagnosed with 2 large cysts... dr. says size of a small child's fist... one on each of my ovaries (looks like cluster of cysts having had them years). I went to the hospital the other day due to the horrible pain I felt, I was doubled over in pain and vomiting and almost passed out a few times! Let me tell you that having labor pains was not even 1/2 as painful as what I felt on Friday night.

Dr. prescribed percoets and birth control pills to shrink. Also, nausea meds - just in case. I just started exercising this week and have already lost like 4 lbs, in less than a week. I am dieting, but really just making the foods I like healthier by adding tons of veggies and portion control. I don't want to use this as another excuse to stop working out and eating right. I have no broken my diet yet... but haven't been able to exercise for 2 days, due to the pain.

I really want to work out tomorrow... what do you guys think?
  • ashleylh1528
    Options
    Hey ladies, were your cysts diagnosed on an ultrasound? My pain sounds exactly like yours but I haven't been diagnosed with cysts and get ultrasounds almost every month because I'm undergoing fertility treatment. My pain only happens after ovulation and with exercise or any time my heart rate increases quickly.