For women: TOM and hiking, and possibly TMI

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,418 Member
So ladies, how do you do this? I have a day-long hike planned for the coming weekend and forgot to take my pill yesterday. After 3 months with no stop week you can imagine what happened :s
Anyway, so the walk on maybe Thursday, possibly Friday (it's a long weekend): public toilets and restaurants are still closed. The flow will be too weak to be comfortable with mini tampons, I can't use cups. And there are likely no places for an open-air 'pee'-break somewhere as it's flat, open landscape, thus changing a thin and comfy pad might be difficult. Ugh! How the heck do you do this, especially those women that are not on long-term cycle?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,134 Member
    Options
    At the risk of more TMI, but I'm not sure what you mean by flow too weak to use mini tampons? I would just use a tampon, but I'm guessing you have an issue that I don't have :smile:
  • yirara
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    At the risk of more TMI, but I'm not sure what you mean by flow too weak to use mini tampons? I would just use a tampon, but I'm guessing you have an issue that I don't have :smile:

Yeah, it's basically very uncomfortable, especially when out hiking or moving more otherwise.
  • emmabrookes1
    emmabrookes1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Period pants might be a good solution? I haven't tried them myself but they seem to be growing in popularity.
    https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/period-pants-review-thinx-modibodi-flux-and-wuka-knickers_uk_5ca22b38e4b09786986a3fdf
  • yirara
    Options
    Never tried them either to be honest. But that's not something I can get before Thursday to be honest.
  • melodyvegan
    melodyvegan Posts: 59 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @yirara, easy – period underwear is the way to go, especially if it's a lighter flow day for you and you'll be able to get home to change when the hike is over. They can absorb up to 3 tampons' worth, they're meant to be worn at the very least for a full 8 hour work day so they don't give off an odor unless they're "full" and worn for much longer (same as a pad), and they keep you just as dry as a pad (if not more). You won't even be able to tell that they're there.

Your biggest issue will be whether you'll be able to get a pair delivered in time for your event.
  • yirara
    Options
    Do they really work? Period underwear? I mainly see these on those dodgy facebook ads, which always makes me wonder... are you able to be really active with them, like also climb underneath bushes or over rocks? But no, I can't get them in time.
  • yirara
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    After much reflection, there's not much you can do except go with the flow (😭). Not sure where you live, but if it's an urban area, larger (or feminist) health food stores may be open and likely to carry these aforementioned undies.

Thing is, even if you weren't menstruating, you'd still have to urinate at least a couple of times during the day. So, to me, it's really the terrain - and not the time of month - that's challenging.

Someone who is active and interested in hiking for a w-h-o-l-e day is going to be more aware and conscious of both of your biological needs. Sheez, one would hope, at least. So...

Make a game of it: you provide cover for them and they for you. Collect points somehow and the winner of The Pee Game gets a surprise at the end of the hike.

Just, umm, be downwind no matter what. And have feminine (or baby) wipes that you can put in a ziplock bag or something resealable then properly dispose when you get back to civilization.

Happy hiking!

Small town, thus no such shop, and outdoor stores are currently closed with lockdown. But based on what I read about these undies I don't think I would actually trust them for a long hike. At least I manage to not pee for several hours when out and about. On normal days anyway :s I usually also go out alone, being a terrible introvert, so... But you totally made me laugh here :D<3 Argh, I always wanted to buy a peemate, or whatever this thing is called. Would not help in this situation I think, but just for general. *NeedAFacepalmSmiley*
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    In my experience a tampon is only uncomfortable when not inserted correctly. But I am not you, nor am I your doctor :smile:
    I’ll only use o.b. brand because the shape is way more comfortable than those folded up messes other companies sell.
  • yirara
    Options
    In my experience a tampon is only uncomfortable when not inserted correctly. But I am not you, nor am I your doctor :smile:
    I’ll only use o.b. brand because the shape is way more comfortable than those folded up messes other companies sell.

Well, I'm 'small', and I hate the feeling of seams on clothes, lace, too high necks, tight stretch clothes, hard jeans etc. So yes, even mini obs are uncomfortable unless it's the first two days.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Napkins tend to bunch up or slide around, which can cause really bad chaffing. I always used a tampon and mini-pad when hiking or backpacking. If your period is really light, then a mini-pad may be enough. Bring extra and a plastic bag to put used ones in your daypack.
  • yirara
    Options
    Napkins tend to bunch up or slide around, which can cause really bad chaffing. I always used a tampon and mini-pad when hiking or backpacking. If your period is really light, then a mini-pad may be enough. Bring extra and a plastic bag to put used ones in your daypack.

Yeah... here I can get pads that don't have the thickness of diapers (think slightly thicker panty liners) but are a bit bigger. I usually use those when tampons don't work anymore. There's just no way to change them out and about though due to the very open and flat landscape. If I hide behind a tree then people can still see me from a bit away. I could climb into a dry ditch, but would still need to stand up for pulling my pants up. So useless #DutchProblems
  • yirara
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Not necessarily useful to you (you'd have your own preferred hiking clothes), but hiking in a running dress provides a bit more privacy cover. (I tend to prefer trail running in spandex-esque bike shorts for ease of movement, and a knee length dress provides a bit of extra warmth from wind in winter and protection from thorns). (The few times I wore capris instead, I did notice feeling more awkwardly naked when peeing).

Actually that's a brilliant idea I did not consider! I never wear dresses or shorter skirts (I hate my muscular lower legs and need sun protection), but I do have a few ankle-long wrap skirts and sarongs. Maybe I need to do that for the coming trip. It's likely warm and not very windy. Thanks a lot! <3
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Tampon Issue - With the right brand, you won't be able to feel a tampon if it's inserted properly....

Pee Situation - I have a 'she-wee' turns my V into a P
  • yirara
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Tampon Issue - With the right brand, you won't be able to feel a tampon if it's inserted properly....

that's only true if you have enough moisture, and not a cervix that hurts like hell when anything gets too close. To be honest, I've not seen 4cm long tampons yet. Thus no, not everyone can. and this is also the reason why I can't use cups. Even the smallest one hurts like hell.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I use a Diva Cup. It's amazing and very freeing.

I track my cycle on an app so I know exactly when I'm coming on (3 months in advance) and the flow. So I avoid long hikes on those heavy days (sorry TMI).

To pee I use a contraption called a P Style. I can go standing up and without taking off my pants.

I've gone on several long hikes and these 3 items have been a godsend.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

that's only true if you have enough moisture, and not a cervix that hurts like hell when anything gets too close. To be honest, I've not seen 4cm long tampons yet. Thus no, not everyone can. and this is also the reason why I can't use cups. Even the smallest one hurts like hell.

Small amount of lubricant would help with the dryness when inserting, but what you really need is to visit your doctor and explain your pain as it is not normal. I would also have the Dr. explain to you that you don't need smaller tampons and he/she can teach you to insert them properly.
  • yirara
    Options

Small amount of lubricant would help with the dryness when inserting, but what you really need is to visit your doctor and explain your pain as it is not normal. I would also have the Dr. explain to you that you don't need smaller tampons and he/she can teach you to insert them properly.

Hun, I'm close to 50, and this is just a fact for me. No woman is like the next, no anatomy exactly like another. Fact: I could not give birth naturally. Not that I ever was preggers.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Options

Hun, I'm close to 50, and this is just a fact for me. No woman is like the next, no anatomy exactly like another. Fact: I could not give birth naturally. Not that I ever was preggers.

Hun, I don't care how old you are...
    If you don't actually want advice, then don't post that you want advice on the internet.
    Just my opinion that if you're in pain you should ask a doctor why, but I'm just logical like that...