Hello seeking advice

lolaluvnyc
lolaluvnyc Posts: 3 Member
I’ve literally tried everything in the book with no success. I started today slowly with my mom. I figured we could help each other out. I have several military injuries which lead to several surgeries and I’m terrified of getting hurt. So of course the lbs just piled on. My issue is snacking especially at night. I stop eating at 6pm and I’m starving. I only ate 1000 calories today. I think I ate too little. If anyone can help I would appreciate it🤗

Replies

• lolaluvnyc
    Thank you so much for taking the time to reach out. I agree with u it was way too little today. The reason I stopped at six is because I was trying intermittent fasting. 16:8 I ate at 10 am and stopped at 6. I just want to feel better. I’ve had to back surgeries already and I feel that exercise is the disconnection. So I started to walk today. My biggest challenge is cravings and how long it takes to see results. 🤗
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    lolaluvnyc wrote: »
    Thank you so much for taking the time to reach out. I agree with u it was way too little today. The reason I stopped at six is because I was trying intermittent fasting. 16:8 I ate at 10 am and stopped at 6. I just want to feel better. I’ve had to back surgeries already and I feel that exercise is the disconnection. So I started to walk today. My biggest challenge is cravings and how long it takes to see results. 🤗

Can you share your age, current weight, and your height?
  • KrissFlavored
    KrissFlavored Posts: 327 Member
    Is there a possibility you can change your window?

12 to 8? Something closer to bed time? Perhaps you are more successful at refraining from eating earlier in the day then you are at night?
  • Blessingsbe533
    Blessingsbe533 Posts: 5 Member
    I am on the struggle bus, so I don’t know that I have helpful suggestions. But one thing I’m doing right is exercise daily. Exercise helps me stay in a better mood and experience less anxiety, so it’s self rewarding.
  • reallynearlythere
    reallynearlythere Posts: 3 Member
    I am a classic yoyo dieter, however am doing ok at the moment. With regard to evening nibbles, I have found that rather than trying to just use willpower, which inevitably ends up in me bingeing,I am trying to be more pre-active. At the moment I have found cutting up raw carrot and celery and dunking them into 45g of garlic cream cheese. Not only is this low in calories, under 150, but it takes much much longer to eat than a packet of crisps!
  • manyasin
    manyasin Posts: 20 Member
    It sounds to me like you're jumping into the deep end here! 1000 calories is way too low, and having low daily calories and doing intermittent fasting means you're more likely to stop as it'll be too much to handle. If you're struggling with the intermittent fasting there's no harm in extending it to 10am - 8pm, but try adding your stats into MyFitnessPal and it'll tell you your recommended daily calories, I'm assuming it'll be a lot more than 1000!

Try to plan your day ahead and leave yourself calories for snacks, nothing wrong with snacking in the evening as long as it stays in your calorie allowance! Be honest with what you are eating and record everything, and I swear you will find areas that you can remove unnecessary calories (for me it was butter, fizzy drinks and overeating fruit thinking I was being healthy!). I'd recommend buying kitchen scales if you don't already have one, I realised my idea of portion sizes was grossly wrong!

In regards to exercise, the old saying when it comes to losing weight is "80% diet, 20% exercise", so right now it's best to focus on what you are eating more than worrying about workouts. There is no harm in going for daily walks though, just try not to do anything too strenuous to aggravate your previous injuries.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Is there a possibility you can change your window?

12 to 8? Something closer to bed time? Perhaps you are more successful at refraining from eating earlier in the day then you are at night?

This ^^

I did intermittent fasting, and for many people it's a lot easier to delay that first meal than to stop eating several hours before bed.

I delay for four hours in the morning, have my exercise midday, then a snack then a good sized afternoon meal, and then a snack of 200-300 calories a couple hours before bed. I do go to bed early, that was one thing I had to change during weight loss. No alcohol, in bed by 9PM, up at 5AM.
  • lolaluvnyc
    Hello everyone
    Thank you all for all suggestions and taking the time to write to me I really appreciate all of you.They are very insightful. Biggest challenge is consistency. I’m working on logging all my food and activity with pure honesty. App suggested I should eat 1390 calories so I will stick to eating the suggested calories.
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 523 Member
    Aside from sticking to the minimum cal intake you should also consider adding some cardio initially. Cal deficit will add to you being healthier. I have dealt with old injuries and with added weight over the years I could feel them. As some weight has come off those old injuries are more manageable. Drink plenty of water. If you snack in later hours find some items that are recommended as late snack. Strawberries, kiwis, watermelon some non fat yogurt... try to dial in with what works for you and stick to it. I now only eat between 8:30am and 7:30pm and can’t say I’m ever starving and sometimes find myself hurrying to reach my daily cal goal. Give it some time to find your rhythm. You’ll get there soon enough.