What's different this time?

Options
This time I tell myself "No." I have a whiny, manipulative side that I have given the power to for too long. Thus the weight gain. My "inner brat" doesn't care if I feel badly for failing on a daily. She just wants immediate gratification. My long term goal requires that I take control away from her, just as I would a child who couldn't see the big picture.

It's hard, but it's not that hard. I don't feel sad or sorry that I didn't overeat. I feel good. Im not suffering because I'm restricting the snacking.

This time I have set up rules that I can live with. Effective, but not crazy restrictive. Rules my inner brat can live with.

This time I space my meals so I don't go beyond a 5 on the hunger scale. 2-4 is an acceptable range.

This time I have patience for results.

I feel much better, lighter, and hydrated.

What is different for you this time?

Replies

• random_fractal
    random_fractal Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Haha inner brat is a good way to put it, I've actually made myself a Trello 'motivation' board for when I get bad cravings.
  • minimiss669
    minimiss669 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I love that! I think I'll do that, too! I certainly think about those motivations. It would be effective to have those visualizations on a board for reference. Thanks for the great idea @random_fractal!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Haha, I know the inner brat too. I've practiced holding myself accountable. For me, it actually helps if I'm the only one holding me accountable, because I'm the type of person that does something just because no one else is working to get it done (sometimes to my benefit, sometimes to my detriment, haha). So, if no one else is holding me accountable for my eating, I'll be the one to do it.

• minimiss669
    Options
    Wow! Reading these has made me realize what an individual process weight loss is for each person. These are great struggles. And great solutions. I am taking little bits and pieces from each. I found that I have come to many of the same conclusions. I think we can all say that the biggest difference the sustainability. And recovering from a fall... and patience with ourselves.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Wow! Reading these has made me realize what an individual process weight loss is for each person. These are great struggles. And great solutions. I am taking little bits and pieces from each. I found that I have come to many of the same conclusions. I think we can all say that the biggest difference the sustainability. And recovering from a fall... and patience with ourselves.

That is key. Learning yourself. Learn how to manage yourself in all the situations that come up. Learn when to push through a hard day or when to take your foot off the gas and have a maintenance day. Learn what you need to do on vacations, special occasions, and holidays to enjoy yourself enough not to feel deprived while sticking to a plan. Don't see a mistake as major failure see it as an opportunity to determine what you could do differently to avoid it. Analyze the good days too. Why was it more successful? What can be done to replicate the results?

You are right to look for things that might apply to you. We are different but there are going to be some overlaps among people. If something speaks to you put it in a trial experiment for yourself. Accept that it may or may not work. Perhaps it will work if you tweak it somehow.

In essence you are learning to be a weight loss coach for yourself. I started this by becoming an expert in my previous failures. I threw out the notion that I only failed because I lacked willpower as I once believed and really dissected them. Learning how I failed helped me establish rules to avoid my most common pitfalls.
  • minimiss669
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Ok so 23 days in... I'm having to reboot. As usual I started off full of resolve and full of myself and how much better I felt. Im not sure how or why but that never lasts. A little slip here, an extra bite there, a full on face fall one day, it all adds up and I'm pretty much maintaining rather than losing. Damn! Time to re visit those boundaries and revoice those rules I set down for myself. Im pretty sneaky apparently. My inner brat has prevailed. Not entirely...I still feel like I got this. I like what one member said about becoming my own life coach. Because ain't nobody gonna do this for me! Only I care. Only I can do the work. Having a place to post my random thoughts helps. Is anyone else having to reboot? How's that going?
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I’m in reboot mode. Fell off the wagon about a year ago. Mostly maintained but gained about 10 lbs over the year. So now I’m getting it together to lose that 10 lbs and the last 10 lbs I wanted to lose before I fell off the wagon.

The first month of starting again was really hard but I think I’ve been pinpointed the issues and should start seeing some more consistent downward progress.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I have to reboot almost every effing day. My inner brat is loud. I manage to shut her up most days and limit the damage she can do.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I rebooted a few months back. Dropped about 35 lbs and am now trying maintenance again for like the eleventeenth time. I usually end up getting to a place where I just start enjoying eating and drinking too much and it all comes back on again, so this time I'm still logging and weighing every day to keep a tab on my eating and how its effecting my weight until I can get both hands around the whole maintenance concept. Its actually easier for me to LOSE weight than it is to MAINTAIN my weight for some reason.

I don't have an Inner Brat, but I have a guy inside that enjoys eating bar food and having lots of adult beverages that go along with them! He's a bad influence. So I have to just keep it to a dull roar and not go off the deep end with it. Having everything shut down right now sure does help though!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I tried losing weight a couple of times in the past. I would go hard and do unsustainable things such as cutting things out or not eating enough. I would lose some weight and it would eventually come right back and then some.

Also I would try to lose weight for an event or a vacation. So again I'd lose some weight and it would come right back.

This time though was different. I was actually tired of being obese and I knew I deserved so much better. When I put my mind to things and really want something I get things done.

So between that and taking it easy on myself such as still eating things I enjoyed - just not as much and getting into fitness, but not overdoing, the weight came off consistently and stayed off.

This time around I was patient and learned about myself, I researched and read about weight/fat loss, I planned and tracked my meals, I did a lot of trial and error and I also created healthy, sustainable habits. After a while everything just clicked and fell into place for me. I just had to turn off the noise and do what working for me and keep at it.

I lost over 80 pounds and have been maintaining for 7 years. Taking things slower while losing weight has seemed to make maintenance go easy for me.
  • minimiss669
    Options
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    I tried losing weight a couple of times in the past. I would go hard and do unsustainable things such as cutting things out or not eating enough. I would lose some weight and it would eventually come right back and then some.

Also I would try to lose weight for an event or a vacation. So again I'd lose some weight and it would come right back.

This time though was different. I was actually tired of being obese and I knew I deserved so much better. When I put my mind to things and really want something I get things done.

So between that and taking it easy on myself such as still eating things I enjoyed - just not as much and getting into fitness, but not overdoing, the weight came off consistently and stayed off.

This time around I was patient and learned about myself, I researched and read about weight/fat loss, I planned and tracked my meals, I did a lot of trial and error and I also created healthy, sustainable habits. After a while everything just clicked and fell into place for me. I just had to turn off the noise and do what working for me and keep at it.

I lost over 80 pounds and have been maintaining for 7 years. Taking things slower while losing weight has seemed to make maintenance go easy for me.

Very inspiring. I love to hear from real people who have figured out their own way to overcome their own hurdles. Thank you for sharing your story!
  • minimiss669
    Options
    briscogun wrote: »
    I rebooted a few months back. Dropped about 35 lbs and am now trying maintenance again for like the eleventeenth time. I usually end up getting to a place where I just start enjoying eating and drinking too much and it all comes back on again, so this time I'm still logging and weighing every day to keep a tab on my eating and how its effecting my weight until I can get both hands around the whole maintenance concept. Its actually easier for me to LOSE weight than it is to MAINTAIN my weight for some reason.

I don't have an Inner Brat, but I have a guy inside that enjoys eating bar food and having lots of adult beverages that go along with them! He's a bad influence. So I have to just keep it to a dull roar and not go off the deep end with it. Having everything shut down right now sure does help though!

I think my inner brat and your bad influence have a lot in common! This was a great post. Thank you!
  • minimiss669
    Options
    I have to reboot almost every effing day. My inner brat is loud. I manage to shut her up most days and limit the damage she can do.

Totally needed to hear this! Thank you!