Listening to music on a run

Options
Bluerunbiker
Bluerunbiker Posts: 30 Member
I have never ever got used Listening to music on a run i guess thats old fashioned but it kinda puts me off.
Ive tried may be once or twice but just dont get it ?

My distances at moment are short so wouldnt be worth it anyway lol

I was thinking of getting a new Garmin watch but the music would be a waste for me.

Anyone here prefer music ?Whats your thoughts

Replies

• GetHeroFit
    GetHeroFit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I use Zombies Run when I'm actively out (versus the quick block walk to stretch), so I just add music as well. I like it to help with focus and motivation. But if you don't like to have music, then you don't have to. Just don't use that fearure on the watch.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin Forerunner 35 which doesn’t do music. I use it to track my runs (distance, pace, heart rate, calories).

Personally, I enjoy music on a run. I find it motivating, the right song with a good beat can really help me push just a little bit harder.

Sometimes on really long runs I listen to podcasts instead though. But a run with nothing is absolutely miserable for me. I’ve only done it a couple times and really hated it.
  • Bluerunbiker
    Options
    Interesting like i say I tried it but Didnt like it plus all wires etc fiddly and ear buds feel odd
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I like quiet...it's a personal preference. I think we have enough noise in our lives...it's good for me to unplug everything when I exercise.

There is also a safety consideration. I think that it is better to be fully aware of your surroundings when exercising outside, so you can hear cars or people approaching.
  • sianlr87
    sianlr87 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have been listening to audio books recently and I've been enjoying that. I never use music when I'm doing an event like parkrun or some organised run as there is enough going on for me not to need the music for motivation, but definitely need something when I'm on my own.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    When I am out riding the bike, I will have 1 earbud in and the other dangling... I like the music but I also want to hear/be aware of what is going on around me.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    It definitely depends on the day and the run for me. My quiet neighborhood .86 mile loop that is more and more like a dreadmill? I pop in one earbud and listen to a podcast or audiobook - even better if I have a guided training run in the background. New surroundings, more traffic, scenic, etc. I prefer to hear my surroundings. Did a run along the river yesterday and kept my ears open... water, birds, critters (2 and 4 legged), cars, my family in a boat on the water, etc. were all reasons to be aware of my surroundings.

I have a Garmin Instinct that has some kind of music function, never used it. I pulled up a podcast or two with a certain BPM for running but found the heavy bass beat horribly obnoxious... just not quite my preference for music so I don’t bother anymore.
  • Bluerunbiker
    Options
    yes those heavy beat things cant stand them does your head in.
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I HAVE to have music when I run or I am miserable and don't even want to be doing it.
    Music helps me to escape and daydream as I run, I find a rhythm easier and feel more like I'm floating or dancing.
    My dogs run in front of me so I keep an eye on their body language to stay in tune with my surroundings, or I turn the volume down so I can still hear the outside world.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I prefer to listen to music especially on long runs, but that doesn't mean you have to. Do what works best for you. Sometimes there's nothing better than silence.
  • MeganD1704
    MeganD1704 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I think its just at your discretion. I always listen to uplifting music or a podcast when walking or running with my dog. My dog is highly protective of me and alerts me if someone is approaching- so I typically have both ear buds in-unless he isn't with me, in which case its one only. It is my "me time" and I don't like to get into my own head to much when working out so I need the noise to block it out or I end up spiraling in thought (overthinker/analyzer life). Do what makes you happy. Sounds like a Garmin would be a better fit for you vs say an Apple Watch if you prefer no music but like stats etc.

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Music would prevent me from hearing environmental sounds, as well as listening to my body and altering my cadence appropriately.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I listen to music, but confused about the Garmin comment. Some Garmins do control and store music, but that is an optional feature. I have the Fenix 5, which does not have an option to store music. I always run with my phone anyway and listen to music from that. Specifically, I use the Aftershokz Aeropex headphones. These are bone conduction headphones that allow me to hear around me also. So I can hear the engine of a car coming up behind me, for example.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I listen to music, but confused about the Garmin comment. Some Garmins do control and store music, but that is an optional feature. I have the Fenix 5, which does not have an option to store music. I always run with my phone anyway and listen to music from that. Specifically, I use the Aftershokz Aeropex headphones. These are bone conduction headphones that allow me to hear around me also. So I can hear the engine of a car coming up behind me, for example.

Exactly this (although my AfterShokz are the titanium mini and I have a different Garmin Fenix which does do music but don’t have any music on it). I can carry on conversations while listening to music with the AfterShokz and can hear all environmental noise. I have my phone with me anyway and just use that for my tunes.

I just started listening to music on my runs a couple years ago when I started training for my first marathon. Now I will come to a full dead stop and get things started again if my Bluetooth goes wonky and my music stops.