How much can you gain in a month-long binge?

Options
ReenieHJ
ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
Let me answer that.....16 lbs. :(
I just spent pretty much the whole month eating whatever whenever. It started with just a pint of Ben and Jerry's on a weekend, then it spread to the whole weekend, then I was eating healthy 1 day a week(YES, just 1 day a week because I was always trying to push the restart button and would last a day if I was lucky). Then I said to he!! with it the past 2-3 weeks. I've eaten so much ice cream, bread, graham crackers, jars of peanut butter, cookies, and on and on. I started hiding packages of crap so nobody would find out. :( SOOO not good. :( I felt ashamed and naughty, like a little kid who's been caught at something because comments(jokes that to me, only cut my shame deeper) were made when many of the ice cream sandwiches were already gone and dh hadn't even had one. :(
I've been so stressed, thinking about my sister and her dh, what's happening with them, and the whole Covid mess, being selfishly unhappy with my life in general. Wondering is this all there is? So I simply ate and ate to fill my head and heart with something that momentarily made me feel good. Until it didn't. I feel like a slug. I could tell my heart was starting to work harder. I was getting winded again. My stomach still doesn't feel good. I didn't want to do any thing at all, except cram food in my face from sun-up to sun-down. I stopped exercising, stopped counting calories, and stopped coming here. I didn't even want to read anything here. I feel like a complete failure because I had worked so hard to get to my goal weight and now I'm back where I was late last summer. I kept saying 'you idiot, sure didn't take you long to undo all the work you did'.
Then I realized I was going to need to go up a size in pants if I did this even one more week.
So yesterday a.m. I bit the bullet, jumped on the scale, said OUCH, and thought $u@K it up Buttercup and do this.
So back again. :(
Wish I could say stronger than ever but I feel like I'm on the edge. I have got to do this. I felt so good, so healthy, and now bleh.

Replies

• Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    On YouTube I've seen Christian Guzman gain 31lbs in a month long vacation binge after his last show... 😬😂
  • NeahF
    NeahF Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You can get back up again!! You got this!!!! Thank you for sharing that, I hope you find the strength to continue on even though you hit a bump and it took you a bit to get up. You got up. Be proud of that and keep it up. I might not have gone through any major weight loss, but we all mess up, get stressed, do the human thing of trying to cope with stress with bad habits. Don't be ashamed or think you are alone, because you're not. We are here for you and your journey of ENDURANCE in this race- marathon- ongoing marathon- of living a healthy lifestyle.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    You’re here now, and that’s the important thing. Know that it’s totally okay to forgive yourself and just get started again. It was a whole month, but you can also look at it as ONLY being a month before you were able to get back on track. I binge ate for six months one time, so I’m glad you’re working on it sooner. That shows strength. And it’s okay if it doesn’t go perfectly right away, even coming back here is a big step.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    You are not a failure. You have taken a detour.

Don't judge yourself too harshly. I think it will get in the way of you ever being able to review this experience and learn from it. We are all just trying to manage ourselves in various situations and we will, unfortunately, learn most of our lessons from these types of detours. At least that is how I learn most of mine.

• gbt77
    gbt77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been here... so many times, in fact, but recently have gained about 12 pounds in 2 months, and really want to turn that around. It's a slow process, but I've tracked pretty much every day this month. I believe we can succeed, otherwise I'd quit trying. I'm glad we can come back when things go off the rails, and I hope that if I keep moving forward, my detours will be shorter.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    1800 calories over and above your maintenance calories, every day for a 30 days? That's possible, I guess. Also possible that some of that 16 pounds will turn out to be water weight that drops off pretty quickly.

No sense in hating yourself over it, though that's easy to say, I know. It's a learning process. Stress happens. Recovery can happen.

Wishing you better outcomes, and a growing sense of mastery over circumstances, in the month to come. :flowerforyou:
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    You know... when I lost 165 pounds going from 300 to 135... then gained back to 262lbs, I did nothing but hate on myself and think I was weak and a failure.

But change your perspective.

Sometimes we learn the most important things from experiences that seem awful.

You now have this experience. You know how it felt, you know how it started, and you know how to redirect yourself. And think of how much more you will appreciate the hard work and achievements made as you lose these pounds.

Always try and find the silver lining. Especially when it comes to yourself, we arent perfect and we need to be kind of ourselves.

Great advice..

Put it behind you, don't dwell or let it impact today. One day at a time and you'll move forward to where you were.

Personally after a fall I found the jumping on the scales to see the impact the worst. But now you know the damage.. It's downwards at the scale from here 🙂 Good luck.
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I gained a stone over 5 weeks. Got 6lbs off of it this week. A lot will have been water weight but still good to get it off again!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I’m not ready yet. Still hurting, but I’m saving your post for a week or 2, until I can join you in doing better.
  • lexabeep
    lexabeep Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My husband gained 19lbs for covid. I gained 4. It took me a month to loose 10 lbs, him 2 weeks. If you want to g set that weight off start small. One day at a time.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,460 Member
    Options
    Nothing to add except many hugs and warm wishes. 😘
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Well, I’ve gained about 10 pounds so far, and just when I think I’ve got a handle on it, CRAP, I do something dumb again. But I’m getting there. I really need the gym for a stress relief. Have been avoiding it, but may have to just give in. I think I can, I think I can!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    It's a very hard time for everyone. Most people gained. The important thing is to set the scale moving the other way.