Couch to 5k success stories?

Options
2»

Replies

• tastigger
    Options
    It's amazing how much Couch to 5k helps. I am on W5D1 (tomorrow), just signed up for my first 5k for 10/15 and plan to do 5k's in all 50 states. I've done a few days over if I struggle and jog at my own pace.

I struggled to run 30 seconds and last year didn't walk well because of ankle surgeries - whatever shape you are in, you can do this!

(my post about all of this if you are interested - http://geekyexplorers.com/?p=650)
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I am a success story!

I never ran in my life literally. I would walk the one mile run test in HS. In my adult years, my exercise of choice was walking. I could keep up a 4.5 mph pace and walk forever. I would try to run a block and felt like I was going to die!

Last August, at the age of 42, I started the C25K. I completed as it was laid out and ran my first 5k in October last year.

I am now training for my first half marathon on October 9th.

People that knew me growing up are amazed and give me compliments for doing this!
  • BobsySpud
    BobsySpud Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    C25K - Love it!!!!! Best thing I've done in a long time!!! I completed this at the end of July and now currently half way through the Bridge to 10K program. When I started C25K, I hadn't run since my school days (approx 25yrs!), so really struggled with the first week, just trying to run for one minute! But the program really works, building you up slowly. I actually find the longer distances a lot easier than the shorter intervals, so don't be put off by the first 20 minute run and the 25min the following week. My sister in law has been my running partner throughout this journey, and it really really helps having someone else along for the ride. We both committed to the plan and scheduled in the three sessions every week. She is actually on holiday this week, so I went out on my own yesterday and decided to just run for as long as I possibly could. Well, I actually managed to run 8km, with just one, one minute walk in the middle!! I am so proud of myself and haven't stopped smiling since! It's a fantastic sense of achievement. So, my tips would be:

1) If possible, see if a friend would like to join you for this challenge.
    2) Find a suitable place to do the sessions - we were advised to avoid roads (not kind to the joints!) so opted for a forest trail about 10 minutes from where we live. The drive to and from is totally worth it.
    3) Draw up a timetable and stick to it!
    4) Don't be afraid to repeat weeks if you're struggling
    5) Avoid hills (we hate hills!!)

Good Luck!!
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I never ran in my life literally. I would walk the one mile run test in HS.

That is how I was too, and I'm an ex-smoker :) Although 4.5mph was my run when I first started!
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above advice.

Make sure to take a rest day between days. I know folks who tried to do back to back to get through it quicker. Your muscles need rest days especially since they are not used to running.

Have you been fitted for running shoes?

I used a long block a few blocks away from my house that has a park on it. I would run around that...sort of like a track! It was fun to see me run further as each week went a long.

I used the C25k app on my phone and used the runkeeper app to track my distance.

Take it slow too. The program seems to imply you can run three miles in 30 minutes once completed. I honestly do not know of anyone who could do that until much later after completing the program! In fact, the first time I did was only a month ago!
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    If I'm not a success story, I'm not sure what is!! 2.5 years ago I had a stroke, as a result of an allegic reaction to a medication. I was entirely paralyzed for over a week and in the hospital for nearly 30 days. When I got out of the hospital, I had to share a room with my son, as I couldn't walk up the stairs to my room because I was too weak. When I started physical therapy, the therapist wanted to do a baseline test to see where I was at, but I literally couldn't do ANYof the things she needed. I couldn't hold my leg up off the table, I couldn't stand for more than about 2 mintues without sitting down, I couldn't stand on one leg at all. After my 20 minute session, my husband drove me home and I took a 3+ hour nap!

I made a great recovery, and 6 months after my stroke, I began c25k. I couldn't even continue moving for 30 minutes at first, whether it was walking or running! But, I started out slow and just kept trying. I repeated a lot of days. It took me 4 months, but I did it. 10 months, to the day, after my stroke, I ran my first ever 5k!

You can do it! Start out doing what your comfortable with, and don't get frustrated if you have to repeat. I found a podcast I loved at runningintoshape.com. It's got really fun music on it, and the gal is encouraging.

Good luck!!! :-)
  • runningmom1977
    Options
    I did it a few years ago and completed my first 5K without walking a single minute! It was a great kick off to a new running habit and I was running all the time after that. Then I decided to go back to school and everything went downhill and I quit running. I just started up C25K again a couple weeks ago, and am really hoping it gets me back in the mindset I had last time after completing it!
  • haileemou
    Options
    ktkoopman thats bloody amazing! Wow!

Thanks for the valuable advice! Is there a couch to 5k to log excercise on MFP? Ive just tried to search and i dont see...
  • KEShikes
    Options
    I did it last summer to get back into shape after a long break from running. I did more workouts per week that it suggested, because I was previously experienced at getting into running shape, and It worked beautifully! I also have friends who have never been runners who have used it successfully by following it to the letter. I think it is a sound program - it should get you in shape without risking injury.
  • BobsySpud
    BobsySpud Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    ktkoopman thats bloody amazing! Wow!

Thanks for the valuable advice! Is there a couch to 5k to log excercise on MFP? Ive just tried to search and i dont see...

I invested in a Heart Rate Monitor then added 'C25K' myself to the exercise diary, logging the calories as per my HRM. I can thoroughly recommend getting one. I have the Polar FT7 - very happy with it, especially as I can wear it whilst swimming too. I also carry my android phone with me whilst running and have both the C25K app and Runkeeper app on at the same time. Finally, and my newest discovery since doing longer runs, I have an audio book on my phone. I've found that concentrating on a good story really takes your mind off the running!
  • haileemou
    Options
    Ooh fab bobsy thats worth looking into the HRM! I love the music while i jog! I kinda of go somewhere in my own world hehe
  • SeattleGrl
    SeattleGrl Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great success stories, I've never run/jogged before this weekend because I thought I was too heavy. The first dayI had to keep reverting back to a walk and was so out of breath....the next day I couldn't believe the improvement I made, I went a slower pace but was able to jog non stop. Now I feel I have the confidence to do the C25k!
    Do most people do this on a treadmill or outside?
  • mosneakers
    mosneakers Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I completely love the C25K program (hated it when I was running, and, seriously, yes, weeks 4,5 and 6 are the hardest) but it was such an accomplishment to finish.

My problem was people. I was always the last person to complete the mile in gym class - everyone would be there at the finish line waiting for me (and rolling their eyes). I constantly thought that people were looking at me like, "look at that fat girl run. Why does she bother." NOPE!!! Once you start trying, you become a runner. Other runners smile at you or wish you a good morning.

The best advice I can give you is to keep running!!! Yes, you want to stop at 30seconds, but push it!! Finish that minute! You'll get to 2 minutes and then to eventually 30! The other advice I can give you is that it's ok to repeat weeks. The weeks in which you ran 6 then 8 minutes was killer on me!! I had to do it again.

I'm happy to say that I'm on week 3 of the Bridge to 10K program. I run for 17 minutes at a time and ran for a total of 55 minutes the other day - I've come a long way....and so can you!!
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options
    Thanks, ive just got the app on my iPhone!

Question....Did you have lots of hills and downhills, i live on a mountain, it shouldnt matter too much no?

I used podrunner intrervals iphone podcast.
    FREE and it uses fixed beat music that changes when you need to run and walk. (it uses the same program as C25K)
    I started with First Day to 5K 8week plan and just finishe Gateway to 8K there is also Freeway to 10K but I'm happy with my running ability now.

You won't regret it!. About hills, they just make you stronger. I live in a rediculously hilly area but most of the 5K races are flat or gently sloping. Training on hills just make race day easier. GOOD LUCK