Keto, Low Fat, or Plain Old Calorie Counting?

Options
After several surgeries and copious steroids, my weight is creeping back up. I decided to get serious and have been trying Keto for the last week but feel like garbage. Due to health issues and allergies, I can’t eat things like nuts, seafood, fibrous veggies, or soy. It is making it very difficult to eat enough low carb to get my calories. Just counting calories, avoiding bread and sugar most of the time, is where I’m at right now. Does anyone have any tips?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you have a lot of restrictions, following a diet with more restrictions is going to increase the failure rates. My biggest tip, on top of the above, is focus on whole foods, increase protein and fiber where you can, and figure out what foods keep you full the longest. If something makes you hungry or doesn't fill you up than limit it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone else. Calories are King.

When I was in weight-loss mode I cut back on carbs. If I kept it at about 1500 calories and 100-125g carbs, that seemed to work best for me. Focus on adding a vegetable to every meal and snack. I was usually at about 40C/40F/20P
  • Countrymade
    Countrymade Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have been on and off dieting. Lifetime WW member but not one of those diets were sustainable. I have been gluten free since 2012 but still had stomach issues. After much research I started Keto (Proper Human Diet) and lost the weight I tried so hard to do with other diets and failed. I am now living and maintaining on the Keto way of eating and never felt better. It does matter what you eat and calories aren't a big deal. Anyone interested in this way of eating go to YouTube: Dr Ken Berry Keto 101. He also has a ton of videos out there to help you. They also have a Facebook Live every Monday night at 8 EST. I learned so much from him. Keto on for life.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I have been on and off dieting. Lifetime WW member but not one of those diets were sustainable. I have been gluten free since 2012 but still had stomach issues. After much research I started Keto (Proper Human Diet) and lost the weight I tried so hard to do with other diets and failed. I am now living and maintaining on the Keto way of eating and never felt better. It does matter what you eat and calories aren't a big deal. Anyone interested in this way of eating go to YouTube: Dr Ken Berry Keto 101. He also has a ton of videos out there to help you. They also have a Facebook Live every Monday night at 8 EST. I learned so much from him. Keto on for life.

Keto isn't the proper human diet, regardless of his current tagline. If you research human diets, they greatly vary based on location and access to foods. Dr. Berry's wife doesn't even do keto. He does because of his Norwegian heritage which is why he believes keto, and moreso carnivore is beneficial to him. His wife tends to incorporate much more veggies and fruits in her diet. I forget where but her heritage is from somewhere closer to the equator.

While he really pushes to get rid of grains (which have been around for tens of thousands of years, and processed foods (which i think we can agree that minimizing process foods is a good thing) in favor of nutrient dense whole foods.

My ultimate issue and why I stopped following him was his solution for everything was just do keto or carnivore. He used to suggest starting with less restrictive diets like paleo (which can eliminate a lot of trigger foods), then move to an AIP or keto diet, and then carnivore. I would say, it's good to see that he still works with patients. I so find that commendable.
  • MeganD1704
    MeganD1704 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    If you have a lot of restrictions, following a diet with more restrictions is going to increase the failure rates. My biggest tip, on top of the above, is focus on whole foods, increase protein and fiber where you can, and figure out what foods keep you full the longest. If something makes you hungry or doesn't fill you up than limit it.

This,
    I was keto for a year, dropped 40 lbs, went on my honeymoon, ate off plan and was never able to get back on. My mind started to view it as restrictive- which it was- and I wouldn't do it. I gained all the weight back nearly. Now i am here- calories in vs calories out and am slowly dropping again but can still enjoy what I want. My personal advice is restrictions don't work long term.