Running and breathing

Options
2»

Replies

• dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I personally don't see any relationship between steps, stride and breathing. I just try to keep a relaxed controlled approach to breathing, sufficiently deep without holding my breath in too long. Workout intensity is a big factor in how fast you need to breath, and your step count/minute may not vary much with widely different intensity levels which can be brought on by your fitness level, speed, incline, even the surface you are running on. Altitude can also play a factor if you work out in higher altitude locations, so there isn't a good way to equate your breathing requirements with the number of steps you take.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough, I just breathe when I run.
    I don't count steps.
    I don't try to force my breathing into some sort of rhythm.

The only time I even notice my breathing is if I start to struggle to breathe which is a sign that I need to slow down a tad or if I'm running up a hill which is a sign I need to focus on the exhale.

I have EIA and I'm more of a cyclist than a runner. In cycling, I've learned to focus on the exhale on hills in order to ward off the effects of EIA ... and I use the same technique when running.

Recently, I've learned that I have a badly deviated septum and enlarged tubinates. I'll be going for surgery soon, but we suspect that this might be a reason I feel like I am breathing through a straw as I near the tops of hills. So perhaps once I've recovered, maybe my techniques might change.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    Just another thought . . . has anyone tried exercising w/one of those plastic face shields on?

I think the shields are more for the purpose of protecting the wearer (mainly medical staff) from breathing in infectious droplets (or having them reach your face) than the masks are but, if you can't/don't want to wear a mask because it interferes w/your breathing while running/jogging or whatever, if you wear a shield, it will at least give the "message" that you "care" about whether you may spread the disease (whether you actually are doing that or not isn't the issue) and it "may" actually prevent infectious droplets spread by others hitting your face and thereby infect you.

While you shouldn't have any problem breathing while wearing a shield, I'm guessing that it would be a hassle to keep the shield in place while running/jogging (but not walking) because of the head movement that would jostle the shield and because of sweat which would also affect the fit/feel of the shield and the shield would probably fog up w/the heat/sweat given off while exercising.

So, there is no perfect "solution" to this problem.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Just another thought . . . has anyone tried exercising w/one of those plastic face shields on?

I think the shields are more for the purpose of protecting the wearer (mainly medical staff) from breathing in infectious droplets (or having them reach your face) than the masks are but, if you can't/don't want to wear a mask because it interferes w/your breathing while running/jogging or whatever, if you wear a shield, it will at least give the "message" that you "care" about whether you may spread the disease (whether you actually are doing that or not isn't the issue) and it "may" actually prevent infectious droplets spread by others hitting your face and thereby infect you.

While you shouldn't have any problem breathing while wearing a shield, I'm guessing that it would be a hassle to keep the shield in place while running/jogging (but not walking) because of the head movement that would jostle the shield and because of sweat which would also affect the fit/feel of the shield and the shield would probably fog up w/the heat/sweat given off while exercising.

So, there is no perfect "solution" to this problem.

Likely! Mind you, a few years ago I went on a few jogs while on vacation in Iran. It was challenging to keep the headscarf more or less in place, and then my wider than normal pants started to slip as well... :o:D
  • Holly92154
    Holly92154 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    JimDew wrote: »
    I ran 6 miles today and thought about this post.

I couldn’t find any correlation between my breaths and my steps, although I expected to!

Footfalls never seemed to have any rhythm with the breathing.

I see I’m lots of help. :)

Hahaha I'm in the same boat. Last time I ran, I tried to keep track of my breaths but could find no pattern. 🤣