New but not losing?

Options
Hi, I logged onto this site ages ago and never used it until now. I have now decided to start using it for the past couple of weeks but I am gutted to have gained!!! I don't know why my weight has gone up but I'm not happy and I have been really good with only 1200 cal :(

Replies

• ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥
    ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥ Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, it will come off eventually. It took me weeks before i lost a pound but now it's coming off a little each week. stick with it :flowerforyou:
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    you may retain water when starting a new exercise plan...i gain up to 3 pounds in one day sometimes if i switch up my workout...also you may need to try to eat a bit more than 1200...ive been losing steady on 1500 with exercise
  • Jancaballero
    Options
    No worries! You can only move forward. Same thing happened to me and I restarted about a week ago and have lost 4 lbs. If I can do it, you can do it. Good luck!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Are you sure you're not underestimating any calorie intake? Have you been burning enough to create a deficit? If you're not feeling that challenged to your workout, it means that you're burning fewer calories. Many times MFP's calculations are far too much than what you're really burning.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine, as the others say. Try and be strict with your water and exercise, even if it's 30 mins of walking to the shops and back at a brisk pace, if it's more than you normally do, whatever it is it will make a difference. The good news is when you lose, you'll probably get more of a loss :-)
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    have you had your thyroid checked??
  • sandhillcrane
    Options
    All good answers. Have you looked to see if you are over eating carbs or protein etc...? Lots of water too. Good luck! Add me as a friend if u like!
  • nutella33
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies. It seems I have lost a tiny bit but I will take your advice onboard. I also don't drink enough water so I'll get onto that and see what happens.
  • PBJunkie
    Options
    Going to keep this quite simple.

General rule for weight loss is to consume less calories that you burn, meaning to stay in a deficit so your body will start to use fat cells to use energy. Your original post suggest you might have overestimated your calories so you are consuming more than your body needs and thus storing the rest as fat. You can either reduce this by 10% and see how this goes for the next 3 weeks before making an adjustment or you can add a bit more cardio burning more calories which might get you into a deficit.
  • daisy0482
    daisy0482 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    So glad you are giving this a try!! I too joined the site in May but just never explored it enough to realize what a Gem it really was and never got beyond making a profile!! Then on Monday when I realized how much weight I had gained I decided to get on here full force!!! Its a God Sent!! :)

If you take your privacy setting off your food journal we might be able to help you out a bit more...but without seeing your journal I would gamble to guess that you may be eating processed foods, maybe sugars and carbs?? even though you are staying within your 1200 cals. Keep these things to a minumum and fill up on healthy colorful foods and protein instead of carbs. I have seen it a thousand times in my own life - you are what you eat.

Keep moving, keep logging, keep sipping ... the scale WILL move!

way to go!!