Weighing out rice

ksel6655
ksel6655 Posts: 1 Member
so I have been tracking my macros meticulously for a couple years. Love it. One thing I have had a hard time measuring out is rice. I cook for a family of four. Its easier to make a pot of rice and just scoop out. I know the weight cooked is not the same as uncooked. And there are way too many options in the search for cooked rice. I dont know which one is the most accurate. Any tips? Anyone have a accurate measurement you can share or tips on how to weigh out just my portion and log it? TIA!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    edited May 2020
    I find cooked rice to be between 118-125 grams per serving, so I can use the uncooked portion on the label to calculate the calories like quemalosuerte said above, then just weigh out the cooked portion. Close enough, if you forget to weigh the whole batch.

Or you could just weigh a batch one time and use those numbers. It's really close enough.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    I have a bulk rice recipe I use - I update it with amount of rice cooked and final cooked weight
  • Jelly_Belly_Jim
    Jelly_Belly_Jim Posts: 24 Member
    What’s your personal normal serving? For arguments sake let’s just say you normally would have weighed out 1/2 cup uncooked Rice for yourself. Do it one time and see what the weight is cooked. Then, going forward when you make a big pot of rice you will know what 1 serving is for yourself.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited May 2020
    Rice is most accurately weighed dry. So, if a dry cup of rice goes in you know the total calories of the entire pot. If your scoop is one-fifth or the total, divide by 5. If you want to be completely correct, weigh the cooked result in total then weigh your portion of the cooled.

Probably not necessary because you can eyeball the difference between say a fifth and a third and you will only be off 30, 40 or 50 calories depending on how much you are eating.

Whatever you do, don''t rely on cooked weight at calories per gram cooked. You can be off by half because of the amount of water left in the rice depending on how you like it.
  • cmriverside
    I don't who the heck is disagreeing with me.

I have rice three times a week. If I cook the same type rice for the same amount of time, it has always come out cooked at nearly the same weight, 118-125 grams. Not sure what the disagreement is...
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    I don't who the heck is disagreeing with me.

I have rice three times a week. If I cook the same type rice for the same amount of time, it has always come out cooked at nearly the same weight, 118-125 grams. Not sure what the disagreement is...

Someone who is anti-rice apparentky

Blasphemie!
  • Melampus
    Melampus Posts: 95 Member
    Dried pasta is another food with a very different cooked to dry weight. With both of these you need to make sure you know whether the database entry is cooked or dry.
  • Melampus
    Melampus Posts: 95 Member

It wasn't me disagreeing but "for the same amount of time" maybe the key. Many people probably don't cook their rice until it can't possibly absorb any more water so differences in cooking time may cause differences in cooked weight.

I'd second the approach of knowing the dried weight that went in and then working out the proportion of the total eaten. That can even be done by counting spoonfuls - a serving spoon that is - I'm not advocating serving it with a desert spoon.

• cmriverside
    Melampus wrote: »

It wasn't me disagreeing but "for the same amount of time" maybe the key. Many people probably don't cook their rice until it can't possibly absorb any more water so differences in cooking time may cause differences in cooked weight.

I'd second the approach of knowing the dried weight that went in and then working out the proportion of the total eaten. That can even be done by counting spoonfuls - a serving spoon that is - I'm not advocating serving it with a desert spoon.

Okay, well then here's how I cook my rice.

Bring a large pot of water to rolling boil.

Add 180 grams of uncooked wild rice (that's four servings, yo)

Boil for 30 minutes.

Drain.

Leave drained rice in the pot (not over the heat) for 10 minutes.

Perfect rice, every time, four servings cooked is always between 470 and 500 grams. Always the same.
  • cmriverside
    ^^ Oops, Brown rice. No one eats just wild rice, do they? Well, I don't.

Whoever disagreed must be disagreeing with that. ::nods::

• freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    I always use dry weights and the simple answer if you are cooking and serving more than just yourself is to weigh dry so you know how many calories are in the pot and then weigh it all again when cooked and log your portion of calories.

I do this too when I cook for more than one meal.
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    edited May 2020
    Just go on USDA database and type in "cooked rice."
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    have you checked the package? Mine says 45 g of rice (~1/4 cup) is however many calories. I make 1 cup dry (weighed) for my family and divide by 4 when its cooked (i approximate it but you could weigh it as you transfer to a serving bowl and then weigh out how ever much you want).
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    I know weighing dry uncooked is more accurate

But I always weigh cooked - I never cook rice just for myself, so faffing about working out my portion from the cooked weight of the total - Nah.

Just find a reliable entry for cooked rice and use that - so if I eat 100g of cooked rice that's what I log.

Accurate enough for me.
  • ClimbingWolf
    ClimbingWolf Posts: 298 Member
    What I do is make 140 grams of uncooked rice, eat twice out of it in two days and log 70gr both days.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    Yes the reason I don't weigh raw is that this wouldn't tell how much I ate.

As the cooked total is never eaten entirely by me.

So I just weigh my portion and log as cooked rice, x grams.