Weight down, measurements the same

Options
I’ve lost 15lbs in 6 weeks, but my measurements for waist, hips, and bust are still the same. I’m 5’8” started at 202 and I’m now at 185ish (weigh in is tomorrow). I’m working out ~20min 6x/week mix of Peleton cycle and strength. I also walk my dog at least 20min a day and do a longer hike once a week. Oh and I hold a plank 1 min every night, adding 1 second each night :D (just writing all that out made me so proud of myself!)

My question is:
How much did you have to lose before you dropped a size and started to actually SEE a difference on the mirror? Any advice would be great as well!

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I’ve lost 15lbs in 6 weeks, but my measurements for waist, hips, and bust are still the same. I’m 5’8” started at 202 and I’m now at 185ish (weigh in is tomorrow). I’m working out ~20min 6x/week mix of Peleton cycle and strength. I also walk my dog at least 20min a day and do a longer hike once a week. Oh and I hold a plank 1 min every night, adding 1 second each night :D (just writing all that out made me so proud of myself!)

My question is:
    How much did you have to lose before you dropped a size and started to actually SEE a difference on the mirror? Any advice would be great as well!

The first place I lost weight was in my feet. Fat loss can come from anywhere. I saw a difference around 40 pounds but I had a lot to lose. I have lost more than your entire starting weight.

Give it more time. Also, measurements can be kind of tricky because you may not always measure the very same spot each time. Take progress pictures too. They may help you see something when the measurements don't.
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    For me it was at 20lbs that I was able to drop a size, and the. About every 10-15lbs from there.

One thing to keep in mind is that you may have visceral fat, which is fat around your organs, I have read that your body will try to rid itself of that first, it’s the most dangerous fat for your health. When you lose visceral fat, you can see the weight drop but your size does not alter much.
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Further to what Panda says: I also usually find that the fat I can see loses structural integrity (yes, i'm a ST nerd), it feels more watery, cellulite gets worse and the flab is abit more lively, but it will eventually flump downwards making me look like i'm smuggling tatties everywhere rather than looking like an inflated beachball.

My weight will change as my flab becomes less dense but measurements don't change until the 'flump' happens.
    I lose weight on my limbs first as well, and can literally watch a line of flab crawl up my leg as the weeks go by.

So don't be discouraged, your body is changing, it's justing being all sneaky-beaky about it!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    It was slower at the larger sizes, for sure. I'd say 20-25 pounds when I was around US size 18/20 or so, but when I got down to size 8 it was only like 10ish pounds down to 6, and from there to 4. As others have said, it matters where you lose weight first, too, which is somewhat individual.

Some of us women hang onto waist/hip fat a bit more until later in the loss process. If that's you, you might see a difference in tops, first. Some people lose a little bit all over, through part of the process. A thin all-over layer can be quite a few pounds, but not many inches in any one place. And then there's that process someone mentioned where the fat mass gets squishy on the way to depleting, so size change isn't as fast.

Hang in there, keep doing the good things you're doing, and it will happen.

Best wishes!
  • skinnyjingbb
    skinnyjingbb Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I started just few pounds below your starting weight, but I am much shorter 5'3". I didn't take measurement,but18 lbs loss, I definitely already felt my cloth fit different. Most obvious loss are my shoulder and leg. My belly still big but softer, so pants also fit better. Have you feel like your cloth feel looser even though your measurement didn't change?