Sweet dessert induces snacking -- for me.

Options
HeidiCooksSupper
HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
edited May 2020 in Food and Nutrition
I was reminded again yesterday. I saved up plenty of space in my food diary for an enormous chocolate chip brownie that arrived with supper. No problem. Carbs fit. Calories fit. No problem. ... except for a couple hours later when I was ravenous. 500+ extra calories of smoked cheese and roasted pecans later, I was sated but unhappy with myself.

For me anyway:

SWEET DESSERTS AT SUPPER RESULT IN HUNGRY, UNCOMFORTABLE EVENINGS & BAD NEWS ON THE MORNING SCALE!!

I know this pattern. I experienced it the other night when I needed a piece of string cheese an hour or so after a couple cookies. I must now remember it! Always! An ounce or two of mixed nuts is a better dessert for a contented evening and happy scale news.

Replies

• Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    A podcaster I listen to has a similar problem. He’s lost and kept off 100 lbs and has lots of great advice. His solution is when he’s really craving something sweet is he has it right before bed rather than earlier in the evening. So he eats his cupcake or whatever, brushes his teeth, and then heads to bed. Just an idea for those days when you’d really like to have a cookie.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    One really weird thing about me: if I have dessert after dinner, I have the same result that you do. If I have dessert with *lunch*, it's not an issue. Is it all in my head? Probably, but it certainly feels real so if I want something sweet I just have it with lunch.
  • KrissFlavored
    KrissFlavored Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    One really weird thing about me: if I have dessert after dinner, I have the same result that you do. If I have dessert with *lunch*, it's not an issue. Is it all in my head? Probably, but it certainly feels real so if I want something sweet I just have it with lunch.

Sometimes that's also the case for me, I wonder if it's because eating it after lunch, you know another meal is coming lol.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Sometimes that's also the case for me, I wonder if it's because eating it after lunch, you know another meal is coming lol.

You know, I think you're on to something. For me, a bit of hunger in the afternoon is okay because I know that dinner is coming. But once dinner is over, I plan to be done with eating and being hungry just feels harder!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

It's funny how different these things can be. For me, dessert immediately after dinner (even when I was eating at a significant deficit), no issues at all. Dessert earlier in the day and I'd want to snack all day. (When I was losing I was eating dinner pretty late, so maybe that's the issue, but I don't find that eating dessert after a meal causes hunger unless I have an overly small or low volume meal in order to make room for the dessert.)
  • KrissFlavored
    KrissFlavored Posts: 327 Member
    Options

You know, I think you're on to something. For me, a bit of hunger in the afternoon is okay because I know that dinner is coming. But once dinner is over, I plan to be done with eating and being hungry just feels harder!

Yup. It's also why I aim for my dinner to be my biggest meal, i usually put a huge chunk of my calories towards it.

I feel like i did better the other day when i ate this ice cream sandwich at 4, before my supper then when i get home and have a fudgsicle.. cause I finish it and kinda feel like there should of been more, where as when I finish my dinner, I feel content with that. Lol it very well could be a mental thing for sure
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I gave up desserts at dinner for this very reason.

I started having sweet things as my elevenses (breakfast time for me, can't eat for a few hours after getting up); this seems to have eliminated the 3/4pm sleepies (which are brutal when you've already got a condition that causes fatigue), and generally stops binging later on in the day.

I also found not eating bread (wheat as the main-ingredient products) has also helped reduce non-sweet food induced sleepies and binging.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's the sugar? Sugar spike, leading to a crash, and then feeling hungry? I'm trying out having a sweet tasting protein bar for dessert instead. Seems to stick with me longer.