Thinking about going Vegetarian

Options
Hi
I have been thinking about becoming a vegetarian. My family is NOT supportive of this idea. I was wondering what your opinion of vegetarianism is, and any tips? Thanks!

Replies

• semhe
    semhe Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for 11 years, until i became pregnant with my daughter. None if the other members of my family were so it was up to me to make my own foods. its not too difficult, just remember to replace ur protein losses with beans, nuts, seeds and meat substitutes. i still eat veggie burgers instead of beef, they're great!
  • lisab42
    lisab42 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Well you are about to becomine inundated with opinions. Here's my two cents worth. I've been vegetarian for what I feel like is forever. You need to do what is right for yourself. There seem to be benefits to vegetarianism for some however it certainly isn't for everyone. I suggest taking a long read of this website

nomeatathlete.com

Whether you are a runner or not he has some awesome recipes and some plain old smart stuff to say about macronutrients and how to ensure you get the correct amount of protein from a veg based diet. Just made the lemon poppy zucchini bread today and it is delish!!!!

Best of luck.
  • Sway
    Sway Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea ; )!! It's not hard at all, Veganism is a better choice, but to start Vegetarian is awesome!! It's too bad your family isn't supportive, perhaps you just need to educate them. You most certainly won't be depriving yourself of anything, in fact you'll be making yourself SO much healthier. Best of Luck!! Great decision!!
  • lexgem
    lexgem Posts: 163
    Options
    I guess it depends on why you're doing it. One alternative if you like the taste of meat is to eat it less often but get it from good sources which treat the animals with respect while alive and when slaughtering. This is something I am considering but haven't started doing yet.
  • Wasabi_L
    Options
    Hello. I was also veg until getting pregnant. Recently my 7-year-old decided to become a vegetarian all by himself. I encourage his decision and I would also like to become a veggie again. He has got a lot of negative responses also from people at school (even teachers!) but mostly from my parents. He is very dedicated though and has been vegetarian since February 1st. He is so healthy and eats such good food. I usually only eat meat on the weekends, but I want that to stop.
    I don't understand why people have such a negative reaction to vegetarianism. It really is healthier than eating animals!
  • purrsnicketyh
    Options
    A vegetarian diet is so easy these days- most restaurants have delicious options, the grocery store is full of alternatives and there is much more of a general consciousness about it. That being said, it is very important to do your research so that you make sure you're getting enough of the vitamins and protein your body needs. I've met several people who have tried to make the switch, only to discover they really don't like many vegetables! Vegetarianism will require you to explore your local market and really start to experiment with all sorts of different veggies, proteins and grains. You can do amazing things with tempeh, tofu, yuba and other soy products. I personally love the flavor of "fake meats" like chix patties, boca burgers and fakin' bacon... but remember that too much of that processed soy isn't that great for you. Beans and legumes are full of protein and quinoa is such an amazing super grain! Really use all of the tools at your disposal to come up with a great vegetarian plan- it will be fun AND delicious!
  • NaturalinCO
    NaturalinCO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Well you are about to becomine inundated with opinions. Here's my two cents worth. I've been vegetarian for what I feel like is forever. You need to do what is right for yourself. There seem to be benefits to vegetarianism for some however it certainly isn't for everyone. I suggest taking a long read of this website

nomeatathlete.com

Whether you are a runner or not he has some awesome recipes and some plain old smart stuff to say about macronutrients and how to ensure you get the correct amount of protein from a veg based diet. Just made the lemon poppy zucchini bread today and it is delish!!!!

Best of luck.

I totally agree!! Start out slow, no need to go cold turkey ;) I have been a veg for a yr and a half and I love it! Although I must say eating out can get tricky and/or mundane. Do your research, add more fruits and veggies daily, then decide what is best for you!!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    It is becoming easier and easier. Especially with the Meatless Monday program. They have great recipes. Google Meatless Mondays.
    My protein is mostly from beans. I make a couple pots of beans, they keep about a week in the fridge or I put them in the freezer. I try and stay away from fake meats so lots of beans are in my diet. Also raw nuts and seeds. I do sometimes eat cheese. I keep that low since it can have sat. fat. I do eat eggs sometimes too.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    From a scientific standpoint, we human beings evolved as omnivores. People in different areas ate different amounts of meat & veggies, but historically, there has never been a tribe of human beings that survived without meat, even if it was just insects sometimes.

With that said, I understand some people's moral objections to eating higher animals like pigs or cattle. Don't share it, personally, but I can respect it. It's hard to find good fried ants or grasshoppers in most modern supermarkets :wink: , but you could go veggie-plus-fish or something...

The important thing is, if you decide on this, be smart about it. Recognize that it will take work, and should not be done ona whim. Educate yourself about the vitamins and nutrients your body needs. If you eat a balanced diet, that sort of takes care of itself. But if you go strictly vegetarian or vegan, your body probably will not get everything it needs; not unless you pay very close attention. You will need to actively seek out sources of protein & the other nutrients that you previously got from meat.

Whatever you decide, good luck to you!
  • MissB0949
    MissB0949 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm curious what makes you want to go vegetarian. I think it is a great idea. You might want to make it a gradual process since your family is not supportive. You can eliminate meat from your lunch and start making more meatless dishes for your family's dinner. I cut out all meat other than fish for awhile. It has been over 3 months since I have eaten red meat. I don't think I will eat beef that was not humanely produced ever again. I agree with an earlier poster, check out nomeatathlete.com and other vegetarian blogs (eatingbirdfood.com is a good one). I'll be honest, you will feel different when you first cut meat from your diet but if you will stick with it and learn to eat a balanced diet you will feel great. Good luck.
  • limismith
    limismith Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I went veg less than a year ago, but my spouse is not. If you eat meals with a family, especially if you are the one who cooks, having an extra "side item" is a good way to meet in the middle. That way you don't have to fix seperate meals. I use veggie burgers/corndogs, baked potatoes, and sometime a frozen veggie entree like lasanga to fill in for the missing meat portion.

Although, since I am the cook most of the time, we both end up eating vegetarian sometimes :)

The one thing that is way HARDER about being a vegetarian and eating healthy is going to restaurants. Meatless side items tend to be fried or cheesy, so it takes some adjusting. The upside is that I don't hit the drivethroughs on the way home from work anymore :)
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    From a scientific standpoint, we human beings evolved as omnivores. People in different areas ate different amounts of meat & veggies, but historically, there has never been a tribe of human beings that survived without meat, even if it was just insects sometimes.

This isn't true. http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/todays-paper/tp-life/article2204749.ece

Maybe some tribes/societies didn't have access to vegetable proteins so they only choice was to eat meat. But we live in a society that is very easy to live without meat.
  • cobblers88
    Options
    I became vegan in January and it's the best thing I ever did.
    When I read about the health benefits of a vege/vegan diet I didn't beleive it could all be true. But it is.
    My acne is gone, as is my insomnia, I have more energy (although admitedly this could be due to the lack of insomnia), my hair and nails are better, it's great.
    Plus, you won't be hurting any animals and you'll be dramatically reducing your carbon footprint!
    Good luck!
  • lgtahoe
    Options
    Going veggie is great IF you can do it healthy -- you can still eat pizza, fries, potato chips and chocolate on a veggie diet. If you can get a variety of vegetables and non-processed protein choices, then it will be much healthier and environmentally friendly than a meat-based diet. I personally tried to go veggie for a while but had a really hard time trying to get a significant amount of protein (I refuse to eat processed, chemical-laden meat substitutes), and I was craving meat pretty frequently. So now I stick to a mainly fish-based diet (like my ancestors who were Pacific Islanders) and naturally raised organic red meat no more than once a week. That's what works for me, you have to decide what works for you.
  • paintitblack
    Options
    Being vegetarian isn't hard at all. There are many wonderful dishes out there to eat, so going Veg is certainly an adventure!

I understand the thing about your family, though! The only reason my parents allowed me to go Vegetarian was because they thought it would be a two week phase. Six years later... haha!

Good luck with it! Everyone on this website is incredibly helpful if you need any help.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Contrary to this still thriving myth, protein is not the hardest thing to get on a vegetarian or even vegan diet. Vegetarians still eat cheese and eggs, so there are two animal protein sources right there for people who like to go on about protein, beans of course are a good protein source, but veggies have protein too and there are many with high protein content. If you are going to go vegetarian, my main advice would be to make sure you eat a varied whole foods diet and not a lot of processed junk (and I bet you'll find that your diet becomes healthier and more varied than your family's, unless they eat a healthy and varied omni diet). If you vary your veggies, eat a separate protein at two meals a day, and eat some whole grains, there should be little problem with you getting what you need - but you have to do those things and not be a junk food veggie (and this is absolutely no different from making sure an omni diet is healthy). If you are concerned about anything, it would be to watch your calcium and iron intake rather than protein, but if your diet is varied those shouldn't pose a problem. It's easy to find sites dealing with vegetarian sources of common nutrients. If you decided to go vegan, that would be a whole other story, but since you're just looking at going veg, we need not discuss veganism.
  • JJHudgens
    JJHudgens Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Check out 2 documentaries:
    Forks over Knives & Food matters
    Both will give you a lot of "food for thought!"
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    This isn't true. http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/todays-paper/tp-life/article2204749.ece

Maybe some tribes/societies didn't have access to vegetable proteins so they only choice was to eat meat. But we live in a society that is very easy to live without meat.

I didn't make myself clear, I guess. I'm not talking about cultural traditions; obviously, several cultures have developed taboos against different kinds of meat and have not eaten them for thousands of years. But what I was talking about is the evolution of human beings over the last 500,000 years. 5,000 years is really not that long when you're talking about human evolution. Anthropologists have confirmed, and our own scientific analysis of our bodies confirms, that human beings evolved to eat both plants and animals. The shape of our teeth, the way our digestive systems work, all of the artifacts found at various archaeological sites, etc. point to this as an absolute fact. Like it or not, we are omnivores.

Like I said before, that doesn't negate the idea of vegetarianism or veganism. It just means that you have to be careful to do it properly because it's not what your body was designed for. Obviously, the tribe referenced here came up with a good sustainable method. But I also find it interesting that this group only marries within itself. If it was started by people with metabolisms that don't need as much meat and could handle carbohydrates very well, the interbreeding probably reinforced this and helped make the diet sustainable for the group.

But vegetarianism is not possible for everyone. I'm speaking from experience, as someone whose ancestors apparently evolved in a different environment: if I tried to live as a vegetarian or vegan, it would literally kill me. My particular metabolism can't handle carbs, so my doctor says I need a diet of 5% carbs, 30% fat and 65% protein to stay healthy; and there is no possible way for me to get that without eating meat / fish / eggs.

So, again, I say if you want to try it, go for it. But depending on your ancestry, it may be harder for some people than others. Just be smart and make sure you can do it healthily. It does take extra work & forethought to sustain your omnivore body properly using only veggies.