Newbie and nervous

Options
So this is out of my comfort zone. I am not a very social person so this is hard for me. But I know that if I want to suceed I need support from my peers. I have ALWAYS been overweight but at the same time still active and outgoing so it didn't bother me much then. Unfortunately as we age, the body gets tired of all the excess weight and our health suffers. Fast forward to now, I am 49 with 4 children. Since my first child I have been steadily going up in weight. I had my last child at 42 and that was hard. Since then my health has had some hits and ALOT of it is due to my extra weight. You would think that would be enough to make me lose it, but I suffer from depression also. BUT I really do want to change that, so I am willing to come out of my shell and make myself vulnerable to all if that is what it is going to take to motivate me and push me. Sorry for the lengthy intro just had to get it all out.

Replies

• Pacific0406
    Pacific0406 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Denise! It takes a LOT of courage to step out of your comfort zone and make yourself vulnerable. I am even newer than you here; haven't even posted my introduction yet, but I will soon. I truly believe in the power of groups to help support, encourage, cheer each other on, share with one another and be there for each other. Congrats on sharing your first post! I'm pretty sure you will find a bunch of non-judgmental people here, and it will become a happy place for you. At least that's what I'm hoping for myself. Today is the first day of the rest of our lives.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I'm not a very social person either, but there's lots of support and useful info on these boards!

I hope you are getting help for your depression. As for the weight loss, the key is making small incremental changes. Don't be too restrictive or too hard on yourself. And always keep an open mind, always be open to learn. Calorie counting has a learning curve and it can also take some time to find what works for you (types of food that satiate you, frequency of meals,...).

At the top of each board, you'll find a pinned post with links to the most helpful threads. And after reading those, if you still have questions, don't hesitate to ask :smile:
  • jd444455
    jd444455 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You came to the right place Denise.
    Make a small change and do it until it is habit.
  • megan9567
    megan9567 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Denise,
    The old saying is you can’t cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water. You just took the plunge by laying it all out there. 👏🏻
    Losing weight is not going to be easy. It requires dedication and effort. It does take time. Start by taking small steps.
    Feel free to add me.