Juice Plus/ Miss Nutrition / Team Ambition

Options
Can some one fill me in on the deal with this MLM??? I've got friends that I really feel like I have to stage an intervention as they seem to have joined some sort of vitamin pill cult. I really feel like calling them out on some of the obvious fake customer satisfaction posts but then I bite my tongue and scroll on past.

Replies

• KrissFlavored
    KrissFlavored Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    You cant convince someone of anything if they truly believe in it. They're going to have to make the mistakes and learn a lesson, unfortunately that means potentially losing a lot.. but just like things like weight loss pills, or other MLMs like Herbalife, when people lack understanding of how things work and then decide to connect any results that happen to that particular thing, it's hard to tell them it doesnt work. You only come off as ignorant, even tho you are truly trying to help
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    True believers can't be convinced via logical talk, unfortunately. People pursue the magical solution.

If they're wrong (and I'd put money on a bet that they are), they'll fail out of it before long. (They'll probably blame themselves, for "not having the willpower" or somesuch nonsense).

Just keep succeeding alongside them (assuming you are), while they do the extreme, expensive, unsustainable thing. When the conversation allows (like if they talk about it being hard ;) ), just quietly say something mild like "I wouldn't want to do anything that difficult", but just keep hanging out, and making steady progress while they struggle, likely fail, self-blame, etc.

When they get to the fail/self-blame stage, you might try - at the proper conversational opening, not as an out-of-the-blue lecture - "Gosh, I'm so glad I went this route instead: It's been pretty manageable, I'm down XX pounds so far, and think it's going to be manageable to keep it up permanently". Then just keep doing you.

You might win some over, you might not. Most of the people who've argued with me ("calorie counting doesn't work" "must go low carb" were the themes I mostly heard) are still overweight, still buying/reading the trendy books, watching the biased documentaries, listening to the internet gurus, still following the exotic but difficult/expensive fad of the moment, sadly.

Five years on, I'm still thin after previous decades of obesity, and hope to be able to keep that up permanently. Those friendships have moved on to the point where I think most of them have forgotten I was ever obese, and anything I say tends to be dismissed with the classic "it's easy for you, you can eat anything, you're naturally thin" kind of attitude.

Can't win for someone else's team, unfortunately. Maybe influence a few via your success, at most. 🤷‍♀️
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    kiwiroz wrote: »
    Thank you @AnnPT77 its more they are selling it, well and taking it themselves and desperately pushing it in a way bubbly over The top manner. I know I just have to block them and just do me. You have great thoughtful advice as always.

Ugh. I'm so sorry.