I like fruit πŸ“πŸ‰πŸŠ

Options
NeahF
NeahF Posts: 49 Member
So I love fruit. And... It's healthy, sweet, and light on calories! But... My sugar intake has been so high and most of it comes from fruit! Is this a problem? Should I eat less fruit? PS I eat veggies, too. Love myself some carrots. But, still. Them apples are sugary. So anyone having this sugar problem on their nutrition goals? Thanks in advance ;)

Replies

• KrissFlavored
    KrissFlavored Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    You like / love fruit?!?!?!?! You horrible person you ;)

There is nothing wrong with sugar, unless you have medical conditions.

What? Arent you gonna tell her to limit her fruit to 6 servings? Lol
  • KrissFlavored
    KrissFlavored Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    You like / love fruit?!?!?!?! You horrible person you ;)

There is nothing wrong with sugar, unless you have medical conditions.

What? Arent you gonna tell her to limit her fruit to 6 servings? Lol

Nope. She did not ask how many she could eat or how many calories of fruit she would be allowed.
    There is a method behind the madness ;)

LOL! I've been sitting on my hands waiting for the next 6
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,234 Member
    Options
    Ate above the MFP default sugar goal every day while losing weight, and probably every day since (stopped tracking sugar on my log page, started tracking fiber instead, long ago). Overwhelmingly, almost entirely, the sugar consumption was from inherent sugars in fruit, veggies, and no-sugar-added dairy foods. I was consistently hitting reasonable protein and fat goals, getting plenty of varied, colorful veggies.

It hasn't affected weight management, exercise performance, blood pressure/lipids, or anything else, as far as I can see.

Getting good overall nutrition is important for health and performance. That's more about getting the right foods into our eating, at reasonable calories, not about what foods we take out. Only calories matter for weight management, directly - especially in the short run.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Every day when I take a glimpse of my pie chart and see the majority still consists of carbs I look back and think, oh yeh, it's the fruit I ate. It kinda bothers me but then doesn't. I guess if it bothered me that much I could change out watching carbs to something else. Seriously all I want to watch is my calories so take the rest with a grain of salt, as long as I add protein to every meal.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    It is pretty easy to have a "sugar" problem if your intake includes 2 or 3 32oz corn syrup laden Mountain Dews or a few packs of Little Debbies. Otherwise, not a problem.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    we have succeeded in eliminating many incidental sources of sugar in our diet, except for occasional indulgences, such as summer ice cream, lol. we did not substitute sugar substitutes, just changed our palettes/demands and resorting to a very high percentage of home cooking vs. prepared/commercial foods. that being said, our remaining sugar (prior to covid lockdown erratic supply/deliveries) came from fruit. prior to lockdown, we were getting 7-10 varied fruits and veggies per day. varied in color, sugar, fiber, flavor, etc. - this lockdown has reminded us that a good diet is a true luxury.

we track impacts using glycemic index/glycemic load computations, and it's the starchy stuff that sneaks up and whacks your daily totals. none of us in the family have diagnosed sugar problems, but with weight problems and age, we did not want to add to our list of issues.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I love fruit too. I eat about 65% carbs as a result. I’m perfectly healthy and am not deficient in any vitamins.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I love fruit too. I live in fruit/veggie growing country. Cherries, apricots, strawberries and peaches are being harvested now.

Sugar from fruit and "natural" sources is not the problem. It's only added sugars that's a concern.

So unless you have diabetes or some sugar sensitive medical problem, you shouldn't have anything to worry about eating all of the fruit you want.