Keto diet

Options
Starting the Keto diet 😖
It's extremely hard for me but I'm trying my best to keep to it! What recipes or workout recommendations does anyone have?

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is caused by being in a calorie deficit. Do you think the keto diet is something that you'll stick with for life? If no, consider eating what you like and counting calories.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,442 Member
    Options
    You also need to count calories on keto. If you don't like eating keto and don't see yourself eating like this for life then I urge you to reconsider. Unless there's a medical reason for it of course.
  • ketoraeray
    ketoraeray Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    best advice is research research research! first place to start with "good and true" keto info is on reddit -
    https://reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/keto_in_a_nutshell
    and this - https://reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

and this calculator for figuring out your macros - it was on the reddit keto page but the admins switched to a different one in the last year or so - i prefer this calculator https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

plug your macros into your mfp - and yes, you do need to like what you eat true - but it isn't about eating butter or bacon or cheese all day long - absolute misconception about what is keto, and what isn't. keto is a way to eat, which changes how you fuel your body to function and to level your blood sugars so you don't have "crashes" which often result in feeling hungry but not being actually hungry.

lots of good places for recipes to start out - peace love and low carb, low carb yum, all day i dream about food, diet doctor - and what i would consider a more hard core keto, or for someone that needs to be keto for life/death - like epilepsy - maria emmerich
  • izzyjm82
    izzyjm82 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there - I have tried keto and though I have seen the results I couldn't sustain that way of eating. Your best bet is to do your research. We all know that Fat is a key macronutrient for Keto and with fat research has shown that our bodies process and breakdown fat at a much slower rate therefore keeping us fuller for longer. So while this may seem fantastic you should consider your lifestyle and determine if this is a new lifestyle you can/will be able to sustain for long term. With myfitnesspal you can easily enjoy a well balance meal between carbs/fat/protein while still losing weight in a carloic deficit. Weight loss is not meant to be rapid, it is a slow process and therefore can test ones patiences. Best advice is to stay strong and hang in there. Whatever you decide and what you feel suits you best, do it. Everyone's body responses differently. There is no "one-size-fits-all".

Good luck
    Izzy
  • ah97113
    ah97113 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been doing Keto for about 3 months now. For me it was very hard in the beginning but I was able to stick to it after about a week, and it became easier from there. I did do a lot of research, and I still continue to do so, I suggest finding books and blogs/volgs that have recipes. The main thing on keto is finding a balance in what you like to eat and what is "keto friendly". As for results, I would say keto has definitely been good to me, I have lost a total of 24lbs now. I recommend getting a ketone reader for accurate keto measurements and I would suggest Keto Karma for a good book. I would also like to point out that it is still important to track your macros and counting calories as you do want to be on a deficit. Keto Karma has a good calculator that will help you decide how much of a deficit is right for you. Good luck, and feel free to add me if you want some more help and encouragement.
  • robinrsimmons428
    robinrsimmons428 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is the best place to ask but I use a blood monitor to check my ketosis levels. I have been sticking with my macros which I have used several calculators and they have all been pretty similar in numbers and I just can't seem to get or even stay in the Ketosis levels. From what I know the best levels to be in is 1.5-3 BUT starts at .5. i am even trying fasting 8pm-12pm. I feel like I am doing what I need to do but it doesn't seem to be showing in my ketone levels.