I don't know how to diet, help

I am trying to get to 10 stone 6, I'm 5ft 6, 11stone 3 and haven't been able to shift the pounds since Christmas. I haven't been 10 stone 6 for three years.

I am trying the 5:2 but it's making me obsessed with food and I'm already wishing the day away today.

I tried to do 1200 calories a day with normal calorie counting before but end up binging at the weekend because I'm so hungry. I'm working from home so apart from trying to walk lots I would put myself as sedentary. Mfp says I need 1200 calories to lose 2lb a week.

I haven't seen results in over 6 months, I guess I need some motivation. Do I stick with 5:2 or do something else as I'm so fed up!

Replies

• briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Great advice above.

I’d also add that by being close to goal weight and not having a lot to lose, weighing and measuring and logging accurately will be more important than ever. If you haven’t lost weight since Christmas then you’ve probably been eating at maintenance calories since then.

Like stated above, 5:2 IF is just a tool. If it helps you, great. If not then don’t. I’d hate it but that’s just me.

Good luck!
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    Dieting sucks, just plain and simple. Pick a plan that works for you, stick with it for a chunk of time, knowing it’s going to suck. Take a maintenance break, then do it again. I’m at the beginning of my second cut this year, just tying to get some vanity pounds off and yeah. Not fun, but... it doesn’t have to be completely horrible. What works for me is to fill up on high volume foods that I like, eat as many low or no calorie snacks if I need something (Diet Coke, sugar free jello and nonfat whip cream, gum, tea, black coffee or with sweetener). Lots and lots of vegetables, get your protein in first. Meal prep for the whole week. If I go over calories for a meal then it’s not the end of the world but you get back to it, it doesn’t turn into the whole weekend. No alcohol (for me I can’t loose with booze, I go way over calories). I also have 5 meals a day and that keeps me sane, my energy stable, mood good. But yeah, nothing fun about forcing your body to let go of the fat..
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    I do IF. I started 5:2 and at the moment am doing 4:3 and it is working very well for me as I do like a big 800 calorie dinner and I find that really hard to do when I limit my calories every day and in the past it has lead to binging.

Took a bit of getting used to but I have a routine now that works for me and on 600 calorie days I for example have a bowl of porridge, homemade veg miso soup, a yogurt and some crispbreads and cheese spread. I find once it is eaten my brain knows it is not getting any more and shuts up whining although I do drink a lot of water, tea and coffee to fill any gaps.

Then on eating days as I call them, I can have my nice large dinner. And I still calorie count on these days of course.

Finally - when I did 5:2 I found was that I needed to limit my fasting day calories to 500 and could also eat less on the eating days than I do now to make the maths work, but fasting every other day means I can eat more on both days and 600 calories gives me a lot more scope than the 500 did.

Experiment and good luck.
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    @n_green_l that sounds like a good plan. Also, try to increase your daily activity. Lots of well documented recommendations for adding in things like walking, biking.. I know MFP suggests eating back your exercise calories but that never worked for me. It’s too hard to know exactly what your burning (the calculators are not really accurate). If you aim for 1 pound or 1/2 pound per week and you’re not loosing after two weeks, reduce your calories by a little bit or up your activity. If you’re loosing too fast then add a bit more food in. That whole “it's a lifestyle thing” is such a cliche but it’s true. In order to make it work and stick with it long term it needs to fit your lifestyle or you need to change your lifestyle to make it work long term.. one or the other. Also, one more tip.. give yourself time. Like, give yourself a year, commit to the discipline and then see where you’re at.. you can do it! Good luck!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited May 2020
    Don't "diet."

"Dieting" is an attempt to apply a short term, unnatural (for the individual) way of eating to control energy consumption. On the other hand, we each have a diet we follow that results in either weight gain, maintenance or weight loss and affects our health.

With very few exceptions, weight loss, gain and maintenance are simply a question of adjusting one's energy consumption and energy expenditure. Consume more energy that you use and you gain weight. Consume less energy than you use and you lose weight.

For some folks, their diet results in the weight they desire. For others, like me, it results in too much or too little weight. I weigh twice what I ought because I consume much more food than I ought. I consume more energy (calories) than I expend. My habitual diet of many years, quite simply, comprises too much food.

To approach a healthier weight, I must control how many calories I consume. I must consume closer to the amount that will result in a healthier weight. When I do this, I lose weight. When I resume my old habit of eating far more energy than I expend, I continue to be obese. It's as simple as that.

I am not "on a diet." I am attempting to develop food-related habits that will be sustainable through time and that will result in achieving and maintaining a healthy weight. That may mean that I eschew certain foods -- not because they are "bad" for a "person on a diet" but rather because they do not help me to my end goal of eating in a way that results in a healthy weight, is sustaining and is satiating (for me).

I do not fill out the diary every day because I am "on a diet" but rather because my habitual ways of eating are unsuccessful (making me too fat and prone to all the symptoms that result) so I must pay strict attention to my consumption and relearn how to choose and apportion food. Therefore, I rely upon the diary to keep me honest with myself.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    I'm going to disagree with @Lolalikeslolagets regarding exercise. As you're walking at the moment, I'd say do enter that as exercise and do eat back at least 75% of the calories. I've found MFP to be accurate on walking / running calories as long as I'm accurate about my speed. I know how fast I typically walk, so I just have to time how long I walk for.

MFP is less accurate when it comes to gym-based exercise, but the calories burned is definitely not zero.

Like a few commenters above, I don't consider myself to have been dieting. I eat pretty much the same as I did before, just smaller portions. I put more veg and less potatoes / rice / pasta on my plate, but essentially I'm making the same meals. I can carry on doing that for the rest of my life, whereas I couldn't imagine a lifetime of restricting myself in any way.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited May 2020
    I'm also 5'6"... and started at 11 st 2 (156 lb) and am now 137 lb (9 st 11?).

When I was 156 I lost weight fine eating 1650 calories a day, plus eating back 50% of the mfp database exercise.

Now im eating 1500 a day plus exercise and still losing.

If 1200 is too low and you're hungry enough to binge, raise it up! Slow loss is better than no loss.

My bmr is 1400 at my current weight and I refuse to ever eat less than my bmr.

My maintenance calories are closer to 2100 than 2000 for my desired weight though. So you might have a little bit of different calorie needs than me still. No idea how our age and body type compare.

Other tips... if youre still hungry after raising your calories, check how much protein, fat and fibre you are eating. If those are too low it might be making you hungrier sooner.