Peloton: Yay or Nay

Options
Want to add some cardio into my routine and considering a Peloton bike. Just curious to hear some opinions from owners.

Replies

• swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I agree with @cwolfman13 . I think Peloton is a couple thousand dollars plus a monthly membership fee. For that money, you can buy a decent road bike (that you can obviously ride outside) with a smart trainer (or dumb trainer for that matter) and zwift (which does have a monthly cost). You can google cheaper equipment alternatives.

Apparently you can share your membership with an unlimited amount of people (?). My friend shared her membership with me and I've been using it for the past few weeks. It's ok. There are free spin workouts on youtube that are better IMO.
  • helen_goldthorpe
    helen_goldthorpe Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'd vote for a smart trainer and zwift too but I'm coming at it from a cycling background rather than a general fitness one.
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I can’t speak to the actual bike, but I have a Spin bike and downloaded the peloton app while quarantined. Honestly, it’s terrible for spin classes IMO. The all instructors talk during the entire ride and I couldn’t hear the music at all. And it wasn’t even really instruction talk, it’s like they all want to be famous or something. Just my gripe.

I prefer to just ride and listen to the music.
    I listen to amazon music now and do my own thing. For sure, check out the app (free 30 days) before you buy the bike!!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    PennyP312 wrote: »
    I can’t speak to the actual bike, but I have a Spin bike and downloaded the peloton app while quarantined. Honestly, it’s terrible for spin classes IMO. The all instructors talk during the entire ride and I couldn’t hear the music at all. And it wasn’t even really instruction talk, it’s like they all want to be famous or something. Just my gripe.

I prefer to just ride and listen to the music.
    I listen to amazon music now and do my own thing. For sure, check out the app (free 30 days) before you buy the bike!!

I’m with you, I hate a bunch of yakking.

OP save yourself some money and skip purchasing Peleton, it is overpriced.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Too expensive and too limiting (what good is the spin bike if they go out of business) and it's just a spin bike w/o any software that's not as good as other spin and road bikes that you could buy for much less.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    For the money I would personally get a reasonably good road bike, a smart trainer, and zwift. That way you have options to train indoors or take the bike out on the road and ride outside.

If Peleton ever goes under? Then your bike, trainer, and Zwift will still be just as valuable to you as they ever were. If Zwift fails, you can move to trainer road.

Plus, you know, you can ride it outdoors on a nice day, and with friends after the quarantine is over.
  • KyleGA
    KyleGA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    A definite “yes” from me. He Peloton is a major cardio game changer with the gamification aspect...the Peloton Community is incredible. So much support. Such a high to coordinate rides with 50+ other folks and all compete on the leader board. Helps you find that other gear you didn’t know you had. 💪🏼 #KyleSpinnerGA
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    For the money I would personally get a reasonably good road bike, a smart trainer, and zwift. That way you have options to train indoors or take the bike out on the road and ride outside.

I used to tell everyone this but now that I bought stock before the crisis, I'd say get a Peloton!! It's the best!!

Seriously, you can get a bike cheaper. And I'm pretty sure you can, if you would like the competition/game aspect of it, get the Peloton app for your bike rides. I'm almost positive you can do that.

Long term, Peloton's play is in the gamification, not the hardware (the bike). They are doing things with the interaction with others that other companies aren't doing virtually.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. I'd get a bike instead, a trainer to ride it indoors (yuck), and mostly enjoy it outside with fresh air.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Everyone I know that has purchased one LOVE it. If you can afford it, go for it!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I've been using the app since quarantine and I love it. I've always enjoyed indoor non-dance spin classes. I thought about a trainer for my bike but I don't think I would enjoy it because the virtual ride aspect does not look fun too me. I love the music of spin class. Would I personally buy a Peloton bike, no. I would spend that money towards another road or mtb. But the apps works well with a generic spin bike and gives me a great cardio workout. The people that I do know that have a Peloton love it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options

That would be my preference too, but then again I live in a place with great cycling infrastructure and do triathlons....
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm a cyclist - but peloton holds absolutely no interest for me at all. The TV adverts make me cringe - sorry!

Class or group settings (whether online or not) just don't float my boat, I don't want or need anyone telling me what to do let alone inane motivational chatter and hyperbole. That just irritates me.

When I'm forced to train indoors (about 5,000 "miles" in last eight years) I set my own training plan and that's focussed on improving my outdoor performance. The vast majority of my riding is outdoors and that's a huge part of the appeal to me.

It really depends on what you enjoy and what you want from your exercise. Cycling is a lot more than just cardio for general fitness to me.