What am I doing wrong??

Options
Ryguy08
Ryguy08 Posts: 61 Member
edited May 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey all,

I’ve been using MFP for years now and after much trial and error, I’ve managed to lose about 55 lbs (5’9” 160 lbs currently). I feel great. I’m very active and I eat healthy the vast majority of the time and track everything on here. But despite all that, I STILL can’t rid of my gut! I’m trying not to get discouraged, but it’s so hard. Especially right now, I met someone online who I really like and want to look my best before we meet in person. So I’m hoping that someone can tell me if I’m doing something wrong. My current daily goal is 1,800 calories a day and I try to keep my macros at 30/45/25% protein, fat, and carbs. Most days I eat whole wheat bread with peanut butter, a protein shake which contains half a frozen banana, 1 scoop whey power, 2 tbsp peanut butter, and 1 cup almond milk. 6-8 oz of lean protein and veggies for dinner with a little butter sometimes. Snacks are usually 1 oz nuts, apple, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, and Greek yogurt. I do an intense strength routine at home which lasts about an hour per session 3 times a week that includes pull ups, dips, bench presses, squats, deadlifts, curls and presses. I also do 2 days of cardio per week (running, hiking, or HIIT with walks mixed in almost every day). I was even drinking 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar with water twice a day because I heard that it could help, but couldn’t stand it anymore and didn’t see a noticeable difference. I just don’t understand why this fat keeps hanging around despite all the hard work I’ve been doing! If there’s anything I’m doing wrong or something that I could be doing differently, please let me know. Thanks!

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    it sounds like you're doing a good job honestly.

At 5'9", you are still eating a deficit at 1800 calories a day. So it will be hard to build muscle, which might be want you need to feel firmer in the middle. If you are still in a healthy bracket if you lose weight, you could try to lose a little more while lifting... but you won't build a lot of muscle (yes some) at a deficit.

If you eat around maintenance and keep doing your workouts (progressively heavier weights) you would essentially be doing a "recomp". But the thing is... recomps (which even at your slight deficit is pretty similar to what you're doing) take a really long time... think years. It a good process but a long one.

If youre really wanting to make your stomach smaller, you have to keep losing fat. Just make sure you stay in a healthy weight range.

You could try reducing sodium possibly for bloat if you want.

I wish you luck with your meeting! I hope it goes well. Well fitting clothes will go a long way to making you look your best too, and the other person, if a good person, will accept you as you are!

Tldr: just keep losing fat/weight at a safe rate to a safe number and you'll get closer to where you want to be. Keep lifting, it'll help. And self love goes a long way!
  • Ryguy08
    Ryguy08 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    it sounds like you're doing a good job honestly.

At 5'9", you are still eating a deficit at 1800 calories a day. So it will be hard to build muscle, which might be want you need to feel firmer in the middle. If you are still in a healthy bracket if you lose weight, you could try to lose a little more while lifting... but you won't build a lot of muscle (yes some) at a deficit.

If you eat around maintenance and keep doing your workouts (progressively heavier weights) you would essentially be doing a "recomp". But the thing is... recomps (which even at your slight deficit is pretty similar to what you're doing) take a really long time... think years. It a good process but a long one.

If youre really wanting to make your stomach smaller, you have to keep losing fat. Just make sure you stay in a healthy weight range.

You could try reducing sodium possibly for bloat if you want.

I wish you luck with your meeting! I hope it goes well. Well fitting clothes will go a long way to making you look your best too, and the other person, if a good person, will accept you as you are!

Tldr: just keep losing fat/weight at a safe rate to a safe number and you'll get closer to where you want to be. Keep lifting, it'll help. And self love goes a long way!

Thanks for the advice! I've gone back and forth with my calorie goal SO many times and I know that you have to eat more in order to build muscle. It's just been so difficult for me because I'm always worried about putting on more fat. Maybe it's just a mental thing that I need to get over. Some days I would like to eat more to be honest. Maybe I'll try it just on lifting days and see how it goes. Reducing sodium might help too. I generally don't use too much of it, but certain meats and cheese that I eat sometimes have a ton of it in them.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,502 Member
    Options
    One other perspective: I would not date a guy with a 6-pack but prefer a small belly actually. Much more cuddly, and it's likely this person is not busy 24/7 with working out, eating the right amount of protein, etc.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I'm with @yirara let this person meet YOU. I understand the desire to look your best, but believe me personality goes much, much further than a flat tummy. And if you hit it off, they won't care about your stomach area, and if they do they aren't worth knowing.

You are awesome just the way you are.