Am I doing something wrong?

Options
Hello! Serious question here... I’ve seen some people say they’re been getting on with a 1200 calorie daily limit. My question is how!?!? I’ve started myself off at 1700 calories a day because I’ve tried doing 1200-1500 calories a day and end up failing because I felt so deprived and hungry all the time. So do you just have to deal with hunger? Do you have to eat multiple small meals throughout the day to feel satisfied? I’m genuinely curious because why am I still feeling so unsatisfied on a 1700 calorie limit!? I feel like that shouldn’t be the case!

Replies

• Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Lots of veggies and berries. A whole bowl of broccoli is like 30 calories and a lot of food. I fill my sandwiches with cucumbers and spinach. Etc.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Hello! Serious question here... I’ve seen some people say they’re been getting on with a 1200 calorie daily limit. My question is how!?!? I’ve started myself off at 1700 calories a day because I’ve tried doing 1200-1500 calories a day and end up failing because I felt so deprived and hungry all the time. So do you just have to deal with hunger? Do you have to eat multiple small meals throughout the day to feel satisfied? I’m genuinely curious because why am I still feeling so unsatisfied on a 1700 calorie limit!? I feel like that shouldn’t be the case!

The correct number if calories depends on your height, weight, lifestyle activity level, and exercise habits. The number of calories you're comfortable eating also depends on how you were raised and your hunger/satiety threshold. So it's quite possible the people successfully eating 1200 calories are smaller than you or less active than you. Or if not, perhaps they're simply people who think you have to suffer to lose weight or don't understand the dangers of fast weight loss.

I personally would be miserable eating 1200 cals, and I lost just fine at 1500.

What's important, is this - is you're weight headed in the right direction?
  • podperson1
    podperson1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 calories and I don't find it too bad. Personally I tend to have something quite filling for breakfast (usually oats or eggs based), more of a snack around lunchtime, and then a bigger dinner. It's a lot about finding what works for you. I have cut my carbs down a lot as they were pretty heavy on the calories and fill up the plate with veggies and protein, once you start looking into different food options then it's not hard to have a filling and satisfying meal for 350-400 calories. Occasionally I do feel hungry, especially in the evenings as that's when I used to snack a lot, but most days I'm fine with it.
  • gauravsp7
    gauravsp7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am going 1550 and I am 177lbs .. I think 1200 would be too low for me. I could probably do it for a few days but not sustainable.
  • Oh_hey_its_tam
    Oh_hey_its_tam Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am doing okay on the 1,200, but have to skip breakfast to make it work. I am following a 18/6 fast (a 16/8 works well too) so basically get my 1,200 calories in during those 6 hours (whatever hours you decide on) then fast for 18. That has heightened my weight loss for sure. Usually my lunch consists of a protein shake/almond milk & rice cake with 1 tbsp peanut butter. I try to save the bulk of my calories for dinner so I can feel full in the evening and eat somewhat normalish like the rest of the fam.
    Good luck! If you're losing on a higher calorie intake, then I'd stick with whatever works for you.