Workouts for 70+ man with heart disease

Options
DrDuck49
DrDuck49 Posts: 3 Member
edited May 2020 in Introduce Yourself
Hi! I am Dave a 70+ male who is a heart attack survivor and after a triple bypass I was released without restrictions. Four years ago (before the heart attack) I was active in CrossFit and in the best shape of my life. I see workouts, think that looks challenging and fun. As I get into the workout I find even when scaled/modified) I can’t handle the workout. Finally, I swallow my pride and ask for help to develop some exercise routines that deal with general fitness (strength, mobility, balance,?and cardio). Dave.
[edited by MFP moderator for personal information]

Replies

• jjsavoh
    jjsavoh Posts: 135 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Hey doc,

I’d recommend you get a referral to cardiac rehab or talk to your cardiologist if you haven’t done either of those yet. It seems that you’ve tried to modify things to return to some of that life, but still need help figuring out what you and your heart can tolerate while also lining up with your goals. It’s be tough for a user here to safely advise you without knowing more on you and also having a strong background in cardiac stuff (even then, I don’t know that it’d be right to dispense more direct advice for your situation). Hope that helps and good luck!
  • DrDuck49
    DrDuck49 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I completed a cardio rehab program and my cardiologist released me without restrictions. That is the problem. He says your body will tell you what you can or can’t do. Things are complicated by a bad back that won’t allow me to run, gyms are almost impossible to access because of COVID-19 restrictions and pools aren’t open for the same reason. May be worth checking with cardio rehab folks.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm 65, but don't have your health problems. Concur with above that it's not a good idea to give you recommendations--that should come from doctors. However, there are all sorts of stretching and light yoga exercise routines on Youtube. Whatever you do has to be done gradually and very carefully.
  • astod4
    astod4 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don’t comment often, but I feel like I can contribute to this. I’m a student physical therapist, and I would highly recommend getting a referral to see a physical therapist because they have the tools and understanding necessary to help you with your health goals.
  • Rhumax67
    Rhumax67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Agree with the others - sometimes you really have to be aggressive to get more rehab - insurance only pays for a specific number of treatments.
    You may have to wait for the gyms to reopen - I've seen the trainers at my local y do amazing things for their clients (ex. a young woman with brain damage graduate from a walker to a cane)