Please Help?? Running made me FATTER??

Options
This morning I had gone out in my first run in over a month and a half (I usually do HIIT and strength training). I don't have high endurance so it wasn't a crazy workout. I just ran one and a half miles, and walked 4 miles afterwards, all fasted. When I got back home, I saw that I looked (no exaggeration) TWICE as big as I was yesterday. I don't feel as tight, and it looks as if I gained about 10 pounds of fat. Does this happen to anyone else?

Replies

• sashabee25
    sashabee25 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I took a before and after picture, one yesterday morning, and one after my run in the same position. There is a definite increase in volume of my body. I didn't weigh myself though. I know it's impossible I gained 10 lbs of fat but I just want to know why it looks like I does?
  • sashabee25
    Options
    I ran/walked completely fasted this morning though, so I didn't eat anything beforehand...I also only drank water. But it might be water retention like you suggested. Thank you
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Sometimes my face looks a little puffier at the end of a good run. It’s just some water retention.

I’m sure you didn’t actually look like you doubled in size and you know there’s no way you gained fat from doing a run.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Exercising definitely makes me hungrier. Plus a drink a lot more water. Measure your portions and listen to your body !
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Without wanting to lower the tone, you mentioned you did your run fasted, so before breakfast.
    Was it also *ahem* before going to the bathroom?

There is nothing like run leggings for emphasizing some bloating that will just...sort itself out later.
  • sashabee25
    Options
    If it helps, my hip and thigh measurements were about 2 inches bigger than yesterday. I also only drink water on my runs. i'm trying to slim down my hips and thighs, so it's a little frustrating.

Also no, I run after I use the bathroom.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    There's some dedicated/monthly runners' threads in the forums. Perhaps check in with the regular runners and see what they think about your issue.

If it persists, though, talk to your doctor about your concerns. It could be a simple edema issue (swelling) that regulates on its own, something else or nothing at all.
  • kimtober
    kimtober Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I’m a runner and I can’t say I’ve had such a dramatic issue but as some others have mentioned, when it’s hot I definitely get puffier. I would guess if you’re body isn’t used to this kind of exercise and it’s hot out, it might freak out a little.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you felt you looked fatter... I’ve just got to say it - wind. Motion causes motion and all that 🤷‍♂️
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    What was the weather like? Some water retention due to heat/humidity is something that I sometimes experience.

And if you were outside running for 1.5 miles and then walking for 4, it seems unlikely to be the running specifically vs. some other cause (including a reaction to weather, perhaps, or a delayed reaction to something you ate yesterday). Most of the time you were outside in that session you would have been walking.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I agree with others, probably fluid retention especially if it’s hot outside. Based on my experience, here’s a trick you can try next time you go for a run: before you go, put on a ring that fits normally, and pay attention to how it fits. When you return from your run, do you feel/look fatter again? If so, is your ring also now stuck to your finger?

At least for me, my rings are the clearest sign for water retention. It usually goes away in a few hours after cooling off, calming down and drinking lots of water.