Keto experts: I need clarification ...

Options
So, Xg carbs are the LIMIT, Xg fat is the GOAL, and Xg protein is the GOAL? I tried keto before and I was confused on what to eat the most of in a day. I know fat is a main part but I wasn't sure if I am supposed to hit the max. I also know about 20g net carbs is the max but you can go under. Please clarify.

Replies

• Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I had friends who dabbled in it here & there.
    The macros are approx 55% to 60% fat, 30% to 35% protein and 5% to 10% carbohydrates.
  • nmgu
    nmgu Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    20g of net carbs is your general limit. Try to hit that or less but a couple grams above before you work out isn’t going to kill you. If you exercise you can go over your protein goal, a lot of people don’t get enough protein.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    edited May 2020
    Options
    ajfitnix wrote: »
    So, Xg carbs are the LIMIT, Xg fat is the GOAL, and Xg protein is the GOAL? I tried keto before and I was confused on what to eat the most of in a day. I know fat is a main part but I wasn't sure if I am supposed to hit the max. I also know about 20g net carbs is the max but you can go under. Please clarify.

Ultimately it comes down to several key factors; what is going to satiate you the most, what are your goals (weight loss and fitness), how active you are and most importantly do you have a metabolic disorder? A person who is sedentary will be required to restrict carbs more than the active person. The person who is trying to sustain or build muscle should have higher protein than those who don't care about it. Exercise also tends to increase protein goals.

In a general sense, net carbs below 50g. Second, protein should be around 1.5-2.2g/kg of weight (20-30% of calories) and fats are a filler. Regardless of some of the nonsense, more dietary fat isn't better especially if you plan on losing body fat.

So carbs are not to exceed, protein is a goal to meet or exceed and fat is filling. I run 30-40net carb, 2.2g/kg or 1g/lb of protein and the rest is fat (~50-55%). I also spread 30-35g of protein in 3-4 meals to maximize muscle protein synthesis as my goal is to maintain or gain some muscle.

Now, this might be the same kind of answer if you have a metabolic disorder which requires insulin management. I don't have the issue. I only care about the appetite suppression capabilities and craving control. If i have carbs and get out of ketosis, i don't care.

Ps - technically I run CKD. So i have periods where i refeed on carbs. So once every two or three weeks, i consume 400-450g of carbs with very low fat (~40g or less). This helps with performance and most importantly, my sanity.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goal. If you want to lose weight:
    -Xg carb is the limit (usually people use 20g or 50g)
    -Yg protein is a goal (do not skip protein - this is the essential macronutrient. Your body can make its own carbs / glucose and its own fat, but can only make proteins from other proteins).
    -Zg fat is a limit. This is adjusted to fill in the difference in calories between the carb and protein amounts and total calorie goal. If you overeat fat, you can maintain or gain weight on keto.

If you want to maintain weight, change the fat amount and make it a target.

If you want to gain weight, increase the fat amount even more and make it a goal / target.

FWIW, I've been maintaining for years on keto carnivore (pretty close to 0g carbs, lots of protein and lots of fat) and I'm pretty active.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    20g net carbs is very low even for keto. I keep it below 40g. You need to focus on eating high fat foods, getting enough fat is the challenge. Here is what i eat to give you an idea;

- steak
    - Bacon. Rougly 2-3 packs a week (375g each pack). I chop it up and put it into a ceasar salad. I also save the grease to use later
    - Lettuce, brocoli, green veggie every day
    - 11% fat yogurt with berries every day
    - Sunflower seeds, nuts every day
    - Chicken wings or thighs. No breast.
    - Pork chops
    - Roasted sausage with lots of veggies
    - Eggs
    - Rainbow trout
    - bone broth

Im sure theres more but those are on heavy rotation to give you an idea. I’ll also have a cheat day once a week and its usually a whole large pizza. My health and weight has improved significantly since i started keto and OMAD. 65 lbs lost in 6 months. I,ve been holding steady in the last 5 months but I feel my body is still getting stronger.

Good luck to you.

Wrong. Someone trying to lose body fat does not need to "focus on eating high fat foods." To lose body fat, one wants to "eat" (consume for energy) fat from their body rather than dietary fat. This is a common misunderstanding amongst keto dieters and it just keeps getting spread around by people who don't understand how it works. Then we see posts saying, "I am eating keto and keep increasing my fat... I'm now adding 10 lbs. of fat to my coffee everyday and I'm STILL not losing weight! What am I doing wrong?!" Obviously a bit of an exaggeration on amount of fat, but the overall concept is posted regularly on keto discussion boards.

What was so funny, I was really debating last night to include some myths typically found in the keto diet. Eating copious amounts of fat, is the quickest way to not lose weight.

It must be the most common keto myth... eat more fat to lose more body fat is repeated so often that nobody even seems to think it through. The twin myth is that everyone on keto is losing weight no matter how much they lose. I've been in maintenance for years on keto. Some seem to believe that isn't even possible.

I know right. Even crazier when you start to talk keto bulks or people gaining weight on keto (intentional or accidentally). Its why i always advise that when you start, do not start with desserts, fat bombs, or replacement baked goods. Its so easy to add another 400-600 calories from that.
  • quiltingjaine
    quiltingjaine Posts: 5,848 Member
    Options
    @ajfitnix carbs are a limit, protein is the GOAL, fat is used for satisfaction. I had problems understanding “fat is the lever” which everyone quoted. Be sure to hit you protein macro - a bit over is better than a bit under. I’ve been doing keto for almost 3 years. I count TOTAL CARBS not net and stay below 20g. Lost 50+ pounds, 20# below my WW goal from 2008 and 8# lower than when I graduated high school 52 years ago. I’m 70 years old and feel great!