New Experiences

Hi Everyone! I’m incredibly new to MFP (Day 1 newbie!) but I am excited as to the potential capabilities of this app. I have struggled with my weight, body image, and my relationship with food throughout my entire childhood. It is to a place where now I don’t have a healthy relationship with food, and am subject to binge-eating and emotional eating.

I recognize that these are not healthy habits to sustain long-term and although I have never been medically diagnosed as having weight related health conditions, I do not wish for my health to get out of hand. I am 21 years old and my family has a genetic history of heart conditions, I do not want to jeopardize my future because of my habits. I have taken it upon myself to start addressing the problems I have with food and eating, and to start to change those behaviors so they don’t affect me later on.

I am relatively unfamiliar with forums and threads but I welcome any support, advice or words of wisdom from anyone willing to share. I know the toxicity of diet/fad culture firsthand as it’s a constant trigger for my body dysmorphia. I want to avoid any gimmicks and do the hard work myself because I owe it to myself that I get to live a full life. Good luck to everyone else going through their own fitness journeys as I know how much growth I have yet to discover myself and I wish you all the best of luck!

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,703 Member
    edited May 2020
    You're right, fad diets are not the answer!

It doesn't need to be terribly hard work though, to lose weight the right way :smile:

One key is making small gradual changes and not being overly restrictive. I've lost 40lbs so far eating the foods I like, but in smaller portions!
    Also important is being kind to yourself and learning from your experience when things don't turn out as expected. No need to be perfect :smile: Consistency is more important than perfection.
  • CMillikan08
    CMillikan08 Posts: 45 Member
    Recognizing your weaknesses is the first step towards taking control over them. This tool is so useful in laying it out in black and white where your weaknesses lie when it comes to the kitchen. Utilize it and log everything. I mean everything, there’s no point in hiding anything from the app, because that would only hurt your progress. It will help in recognizing patterns of unhealthy eating and then you can move towards making changes. Small sustainable changes 😊😊😊. Friend me if you’d like to 🤗