Intermittent fasting vs calorie counting for women

Options

Replies

• bluej85
    bluej85 Posts: 16 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I did IF for a few months some years ago when it just lined up really well with my work schedule. Never had the willpower to go back to it but it did help a lot and appealed to my laziness. I wasn't obsessing on portioning and eating tiny unfilling snacks and meals that just made me hungrier all day or worrying about the spirit of spontaneous snacking taking hold of me. I just, didn't eat. And then I the early evening I could have basically anything I wanted.

Agreed though with the main point people have made here that it's more a way to control calorie intake, it doesn't mean the calories don't matter.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I am like swimmchick ^. If I start eating early it is like I am hungry all day. If I drink coffee for breakfast, coffee or tea late morn, sometimes I don’t feel hungry until late afternoon. Then I eat. I like big meals. It leaves me satisfied to eat a large meal and then have room for an evening snack so that is what I do. Usually a fruit or veg(often with dip or Pb when I am first hungry, sometimes I will switch it up and do a protein shake, then I will cook out big family supper, then a snack or the rarely planned dessert in the evening. It works well at controlling my hunger through the day, keeping my calories in the 16-2000 range for the moment, and I have some meds that are better taken spaced apart, and each without food so I know they are absorbing well early in the day too. The docs are starting to finally agree with me and suspect delayed gastric emptying, I actually find eating this way my digestion is improved. Maybe more stomach acid or digestive action later in the day? We are not sure yet. But smaller meals through the day leave me bloated and in quite a bit of pain for the past 1.5years.

People always ask about workouts. I lift in the mornnngs. Building upwards on my squat and bench, etc. Seeing great movement these past months even with some injuries(old job, massage therapy related) to overcome. And I typically also will go for a run in the aft before I eat. 2-3miles/day at the moment. After my evening meal I am out again to walk the dog or sometimes we bike instead. No energy dips, I find I have more consistent energy and more so when I keep my meal hours smaller because my gut doesn't hurt.
  • missyelainious
    missyelainious Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I do both. I eat Noon-8PM and find that waiting until noon (except for one AM black coffee!) gives me more flexibility for the rest of the day. I definitely need to count calories also, portion control has always been my biggest challenge.
  • Tesha231
    Tesha231 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Counting calories with IF is very important for another reason that I experience that has not yet been mentioned....eating too little ! IF helps with hunger so well that sometimes you just dont feel hungry especially if you try to limit your simple carbs when you do eat. It's important to count calories to make sure you are reaching your healthy calorie goal each day.

This was an extremely important note to add! I IF 16:8, eating 11a-7p and keep around a 1200-1400 daily caloric intake. There are many times I am either not hungry or get fuller faster when it is meal time. When I added extra miles to my exercise and kept the same caloric intake, I gained weight. Sometime you have to eat whether you are hungry or not (or even up your calories to a lesser deficit) to keep your metabolism in check. There is a thread on this site that talks about eating more to lose more that summarizes this topic much better than I did!
  • AprilSue
    AprilSue Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If you have elevated insulin levels IF can be one of the only ways to get insulin low enough to burn fat. If no insulin issues there would be no noticeable difference
  • Jcrfitness13
    Jcrfitness13 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    So if calorie counting works do your thing!
  • Fitness_t_k
    Fitness_t_k Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi guys. I started IF (24/5) 16:8 along with logging calories in the app (keeping a little deficit) and working out cardio for Atleast 40min a day.
    I did 6 days IF 16:8 & 1 day 14:10. I have only lost 1 pound so far. Any recommendations or comments as I read people loose 2-5 pounds a week on IF....