Newbie with 100+ lbs to lose

Options
Hi everyone! I'm just starting out on my weight loss journey. I'm not comfortable going to a gym currently and wondered if anyone has suggestions on the best home workouts for a newbie? I already am doing quite a bit of walking but would love to add in some cardio. Any ideas for me? Thank you in advance!

Replies

• Kiki_StartingOver
    Kiki_StartingOver Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hello! I also have 100+ lbs to lose :) Great start on walking! If you are into dancing, I recommend The Fitness Marshall on YouTube! He is great and has playlists as well to follow to (no equipment needed). I also like just looking up HIIT workouts to do. Don't forget that these things will build muscle and help you get fit, but focusing on food is what helps lose the pounds! As you gain muscle, you start to burn more, but food is where it starts!
  • rgl536
    rgl536 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on making the decision to lose the weight. When i started my journey, i was around 335 lbs and i started by changing my eating habits. Not a diet, but just changed the lifestyle. No soda, bread or convenience store foods. Then I just started walking. After a few months, i started to run a bit and over time, i was able to run consistently for longer distances. I dropped 160 lbs in about 9 months. Once i felt better about myself, i did begin going to the gym. If you have access to a treadmill, you can vary your speed and incline to boost cardio. Or if you have access to an air-bike that will help as well. You can do it!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Walking is cardiovascular exercise. It's not super intense, but that's ok. If your goal is to burn calories it accomplishes that, it also tends to make people feel better afterwards. If your goal is fitness, it's really helpful to work out at different intensity levels. Bikes can be great fun, some people even enjoy the indoor ones, you can go as hard or easy as you like with one, and they'll burn more calories than walking if you ride at a moderate intensity.