Advice Helpful

Options
Hey everyone maybe someone out there can help. I just started my workout routine a few weeks ago and it’s something me and my wife have talked about doing for years. My wife suffers from severe generalized anxiety and I have delt with depression. She is having a hard time watching me everyday working out and making healthier decisions. I’ve tried to motivate her to join me but I seem fail every time and I feel bad. I know I can’t stop and at the end of the day my health is just as important. I’m just confused and lost in how to continue forward without feeling guilty. Any advice would be great!!

Replies

• dilemily
    dilemily Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well done for being so motivated! All I would say is don't force anything. Rather than a huge workout, ease in with a few long walks around your local area, walking briskly but so you can maintain a conversation. This should help get you both out of the house, but there is no competition as to who is working out the most as it is something you can do together. Casual and see it as quality time whilst getting fit 😀
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Ultimately you can only be responsible for your own physical and mental health.

It’s not fair of her to make you feel bad for making healthier decisions. And you can’t force her to join you so you shouldn’t feel guilty when she makes the choice not to.

Perhaps you could start taking daily walks together as a small step toward working out together. Or encourage her to find her own workouts that she’ll enjoy. My husband and I don’t workout out together because we don’t enjoy doing the same types of workouts but we still encourage and support each other.
  • TommyTS88
    TommyTS88 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys! I’m going to keep trying. I asked today if she wanted to go for a walk but she wasn’t really feeling it. So I will just keep trying and be as patient as I can. I know her anxiety is a daily struggle for her. I would love to try and lessen my workout but then I don’t think I would feel as fulfilled as I do now afterwards. Thanks again you guys I appreciate your words and support!!
  • TommyTS88
    TommyTS88 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Quick update my wife got up with this morning and did a 20 min arm work out since that’s her main focus. I’m super excited but gonna keep taking baby steps!!! :)