Should a teenager water fast/starve for a few days?

Options
2»

Replies

• lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Water has... zero calories. So how do you see denying yourself water contributing to weight loss???
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    Water has... zero calories. So how do you see denying yourself water contributing to weight loss???

Except that she was planning to only have water for the 3 days. This is what a water fast is.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    Otherwise, the OP should be free to make his/her own choice as an adult

of course.

and if the OP puts a question to the forum, other posters should be free to make their own choices about their answers, as adults.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    sashabee25 wrote: »
    Currently I’m 18 and trying to lose some fat. I only drink water, have done OMAD for a month and a half and 20:4 fasting for another month. I eat extremely healthy and cut out meals to create a calorie deficit. I exercise every day (HIIT, strength training) but for some reason my body refuses to lose weight. Should I water fast (not eat anything) for around 3 days to see it that will work?

I am going to assume you have lost your weight very quickly and you are currently unhappy with what you see in the mirror. The very likely cause you are unhappy is because you have lost weight so fast your body was forced to use muscle for energy as well as fat. This has left an unflattering ratio of fat and muscle which is often called "skinny fat".

Your body can only use a certain amount of fat per day for energy before it turns to muscle. As you get leaner and create large deficits you will continue to use a higher ratio of muscle to fat. This means a 3 day fast will MAKE YOUR PROBLEM WORSE. It won't be a dramatic change but it will add to what I believe you have already done.

This is why people in this thread have been pointing you at recomposition. If you really are at the bottom of your healthy BMI range though I would suggest a bulk cycle.

If after reading this thread you still feel compelled to go through the fast you should seek medical help because you are likely experiencing disordered thoughts.