Crisps habit

huggit
huggit Posts: 32 Member
Every day without fail I have a packet of ready salted crisps with my lunch. I have noticed how high in fat they are and would like some alternative suggestions please. I suppose low fat crisps are better. I really feel I am missing out if I don’t have them

Replies

• PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    If you're looking for crunch:

Pretzels
    Veggie Straws or Veggie Chips
    Popcorn
    Raw vegetables (carrots, celery, radishes, cucumber, pepper, etc.)
    Nuts or a nut mix, if the calories/fat are in line with your goals
    Crunchy pickles (I like the Claussen dill pickles)

Just a few alternatives. 😃
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    If they fit in your calorie goal I'm not seeing a problem?

There's plenty of lower cal and lower fat options in the savoury snacks aisle so depends what your enjoy - Quavers, Twiglets, Walkers French Fries as examples.
  • HollyPFlax
    HollyPFlax Posts: 79 Member
    Rice cakes are a great alternative. You get more volume for the same amount of calories. A lot of them have similar flavors to chips.

If you really love the chips, and feel deprived if you don't eat them, you should factor them into your daily calorie intake. Fat is just a macronutrient.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    If they're fitting in your calories and nutritional goals and you enjoy them, I don't see a reason to swap them out.

However, if you still want to do this, this is what I do when I try to swap something. I try to figure out what it is I truly enjoy about the item and try to replicate that with different macros. For example, I also am a huge fan of chips. But a lot of the time, I just want something salty and crispy, so replacing it with pickles, sauerkraut, or even some shredded cabbage dressed with vinegar and hot sauce works for me. I've even done cucumber slices and mustard - way fewer calories, but still sometimes works.

(That said, sometimes you just want chips. I just added 150 calories of chips to my lunch -- it'll fit for the day, so I have no worries about it).
  • huggit
    huggit Posts: 32 Member
    Excellent thank you everyone brilliant ideas 💡
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,600 Member
    Microwaved asian prawn crackers and plain pappadom.

ycseaxhpeq1n.jpeg

v2rck1dky71a.jpeg

• wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    The thing about ordinary (not low sodium) crisps is that after the forst couple they don't taste like much. This has been tested and the potato flavor and aroma is a powerful inducment as one starts to eat them and due to the effect of the salt, it drops off almost immediately. Try it. Start with a few crisps and then switch to thin apple slices or mini popcorn cakes.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited May 2020
    I can make a packet of crisps fit most days. No need to change it if you don't want to. Your body needs a certain amount of dietary fat to function.

@SaraKim17 listed some good options, if you want to switch it up.

You do, but you eat the supper special lady power lifter,expensive chips us poor country boys can't afford!😩
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    edited May 2020
    I feel better about eating eating crisps (potato chips) when I have with low- fat cottage cheese - balances the micronutrients. Sometimes I’ll add either hot sauce or berries for a flavorful antioxidant-ish twist. And ngp always tells me they are low in saturated fat - which is very good. Same with French fries!

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,107 Member
    I love 'protein chips' myself, but I don't know if they have those where you live (I'm in Belgium and buy my protein chips in the Netherlands).
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    I too can't live without crisps, so I have S&V or Chili nuts, or popcorn. You could also try making your own from courgettes, i've tried this they're actually pretty good - I'm still trying to get the crispiness right but it's fun trying and uses up courgettes that have gone abit soft.