Turning off exercise

Options
jmg9656
jmg9656 Posts: 18 Member
How do I make my exercise NOT be added to the calories in my daily diary? (Does anyone recommend against doing this?)

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Mfp is designed for you to eat back your exercise calories. I don't know if can turn it off, but I wouldn't.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I think fuelling your body properly including fuelling your exercise is a great lesson to learn for life.
    When you do more you get to eat more and conversely the lesson is when you do less you need to eat less.

Think about the three mainstream ways to estimate your calorie needs when calorie counting:
    • MyFitnessPal - adds exercise after you do it.
    • TDEE calculators - average amount of predicted exercise included in your daily goal.
    • All day fitness trackers - exercise included.

And of course your body "counts" them even if you don't.

Personally I think it's quite sad to regard exercise as being for weight loss and not seeing it as a healthy habit for the whole of your life.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Are you using TDEE or MFP's NEAT?

I use TDEE, so I just change the calories in my exercise to 1. With NEAT method, I had a hard time with the changing daily calorie target depending on how much exercise I did that day. So, I switched to TDEE which incorporates my exercise in the original number. So, I am still eating exercise calories - they are just averaged out throughout the week.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    With MFP, turning off calories burned through exercise is a premium feature (although you can always edit your exercise sessions to reflect 0 calories burnt, the same thing).

Unless you're specifically entering your own goal based on TDEE (and therefore already counting the exercise), I don't understand why anyone would do this. Success in fitness includes properly fueling your body.