Weight training and quick weight gain. Help!

Options
Hi everyone.
I got my goal weight a few weeks ago and have been maintinging it since while slowly reverse dieting and adding in calories to get me up from 1200 Cals to something more sustainable. This has been going really well until this week.

On Monday I weighed in at 59.9kg which I was really happy with and it’s within normal a fluctuation for me. On Monday night I did a really tough strength workout, including heavy deadlifts which I haven’t done in ages. On Tuesday I weighed in and my weight was up 1kg and I felt really sore from my workout and bloated. Weighed in the next day and my weight is up another 500g and still sore and bloated. Weighed in today and I am up another 900g to 62.2kg and still sore and bloated. I have never experienced this kind of rapid increase before so it’s very surprising.

So I guess my question is this - is this just water weight from muscle soreness and repair and will it go away? I figure I can’t have gained 2.7kg of fat in three days when I’m sticking to my calories and very active. So I’m wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and if the weight drops again as the muscles recover?

Replies

• mrsriisky
    mrsriisky Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I often see upward fluctuations in weight after a heavy weightlifting work out. To gain 2.7kgs of fat, you would have had to have eaten 20,650 calories OVER MAINTENANCE over those 3 days - let your muscles recover, keep lifting :)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    When I start lifting after a break, change programs or increase volume, I will typically see a gain around 2-3lbs over a week or so and it will stay there until I stop or decrease my workouts even if I am no longer sore. For some people the weight drops down over time, for me because I am lifting progressively it becomes my new normal weight.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    It’s very likely water weight.
    It might go away but it might not. For me when I started lifting I noticed a gain of a few pounds within the first week or so of starting .Maybe 3 to 5 I can’t remember.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    When I start lifting after a break, change programs or increase volume, I will typically see a gain around 2-3lbs over a week or so and it will stay there until I stop or decrease my workouts even if I am no longer sore. For some people the weight drops down over time, for me because I am lifting progressively it becomes my new normal weight.

Same my heavy weight training weight brings me up about 3lbs. This at home stuff has kept me down tho.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Yep, happens to me all the time. Try not to freak out, it will go back!
  • chlo_chlo87
    chlo_chlo87 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice!!
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Just don’t weigh yourself after leg day lol