Carbs, protein, fat ratio??

Options
MFP has me set at 55% carbs, 15% protein and 30% fat which does not fit my eating habits or preferences. I am 5'4" 123lbs wanting to lose about 10lbs with the usual lose fat gain a bit of muscle/shape/dare I say the word tone etc.

Others have said I would be better nearer a 40/30/30 or even a 50/30/20 split so wanted to survey the wisdom on here.

At the default settings I always meet or exceed my protein, don't always make the carbs and NEVER reach the fat goal.

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    that's MFP's default for everyone.

I was on 40% carbs 30% protein and 30% fat but changed it to 35% carbs 35% protein and 30% fat as it fit even better with my goals. Pick something realistic that you can stick with and try to get to your macro goals daily. I don't always but the goals give me something to strive towards.
  • bflicker11
    Options
    I'm dying to hear what others say on this subject!!
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I am a low-carber, so I just basically ignore what is set for me. I log my food intake to make myself accountable at the end of the day. It helps me stay on track.
  • FarmerLynn7
    FarmerLynn7 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I stay within the mayo clinics recommendations. After some tweaking and comparing to how I actually eat, I still ended up with 55% carbs, 15% protein, and 30% fat for my personal mix (as a vegetarian if that matters)

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-diet/NU00200
  • delainedecker
    delainedecker Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I like more 40/40/20....
  • kated930
    Options
    I have been fooling around recently with the ratios after being stuck for a little bit. I am roughly the same height and size as you and I have similar goals.

This is what I have found to be working for me the past 3 weeks..
    45%carb- 30% protein- 25% fat
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I do 45% carb, 30% protein, 25% fat too. I'm also 5'4.
  • martinh78
    Options
    I'm 50% Carbs, 30% protein and 20% fat.

I worked mine out on the fat in grams (I wanted low fat so 35grms) and the protein for muscle building based on my lean weight etc.

The carbs I just left to sort themselves out.

It seems a pretty good balance for me now. I was tired after intense workouts and worried I wasn't getting it right, but I think my body is used to the ratio now.

I don't really understand the carbs thing to be honst, not like I do fats and proteins, so I only notice those when they get close to the goal.