Help please!

Options

I’m having a really hard time at the moment. I first started my journey by just counting calories and I wanted to switch to macros and now I’m so lost.

I was eating at 1700 cal a few weeks ago and was in a slight surplus so I reduced my Activity level and now I’m eating at around 1600 according to my fitness pal but always have a few cals left over.
I’m right where I should be! Not losing or gaining! Which is perfect since I want to be at maintenance but I noticed my macros are always way off on my fitness pal so today I did it on a notebook and calculated all the macros by the labels and then tried to do the math for calories and it said I’m eating over 1900. I’m so confused and frustrated. I now know that I should have been calculating macros instead of calories. Are calories on the packaging really that inaccurate?

Replies

• MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    It is very difficult to know exactly the calories and macros on a daily basis. It is still better to log than not log. Don't forget the numbers are not the results. It's your goal that is. The numbers are just a tool to help you get there.

Would you benefit from a longer term view point? Perhaps track your weekly caloric results and macros. you can get lost in the numbers. Remember you said where you want to be... not gaining or losing. So take some time and make minor adjustments to increase or decrease the macros.. MFP does have an option to view these weekly.

This is me that past 7 days.

Daily a bit out of control.
    But for the week SPOT ON!

4dlhiudu7ilc.jpg
  • Jelly_Belly_Jim
    Jelly_Belly_Jim Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to maintain then just focus on calories and for macros just keep in a good range. For instance my protein goal is set a little bit higher, but I know as long as I get .8 grams x body weight, I’m good. Same with fat - around .4 grams x body weight. Then fill the rest with carbs....or more protein and fat. Basically just stay within your calorie allowance and hit your minimums for protein and fat.
  • cheyjanay44
    cheyjanay44 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice. I also reset mfp and it looks better now
  • cheyjanay44
    Options
    ak9as5iw8xab.png
  • cheyjanay44
    Options
    khnsnapiveno.png
  • cheyjanay44
    Options
    How does it look?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    Looks pretty nutritious, with the caveat that if it were me I'd be hoping for quite a few veggies & fruits in the later meals, and presumably the MUFAs/PUFAs were zero only because of incomplete data in the database. If it tasted good, left you feeling full, happy, energetic, and was a practical way for you to eat, I personally think you're good to go.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    That fiber looks a little suspicious too. 33g for those food choices sounds too high, unless that plant protein powder is really high fiber. My plant protein powder is 5g fiber for a scoop (34g scoop.)

You may want to check that data if fiber is important to you.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I think about macros in terms of the minimums I need. Percentage of calories isn’t that helpful to me.

Rule of thumb minimums are:
    Protein: 1g per pound lean mass to preserve muscle (when deficit eating or trying to gain muscle, less ok at maintenance)
    Fat: 0.35g per pound body weight to support essential hormone synthesis
    Carb: no minimum, but fiber minimums are 20g (women)/25g (men)

Some people feel best with lots of carbs (e.g. endurance athletes). Other people feel best low carb/high fat (e.g. people with insulin resistance). Start with the rule of thumb and experiment to find what feels best for you.

Macro grams * calories per g rarely equal total calories. Lots of places error enters the equation. One is 4 cal/g and 9 cal/g aren’t exact.

ETA: blog post re: why it doesn’t add up- https://mikeclancytraining.com/why-you-cannot-count-calories/
    Fwiw, I disagree with his conclusion but the error discussion is interesting. Take with grain o salt as he cites no sources.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Go back to what works for you and stop overthinking things. All methods are an estimation!