Workout question

Options
Whats the difference between Strength training and hypertrophy training? If I want bigger muscles which should I focus on?

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Isn't hyperthopy the increase in your muscles size through exercise? How is that different from strength training?
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »
    Isn't hyperthopy the increase in your muscles size through exercise? How is that different from strength training?

Think about the comparisons between a bodybuilder and a powerlifter. They aren't completely separate and there is quite a bit of overlap between both camps - however, bodybuilders care about the overall aesthetic while powerlifters want raw strength for specific lifts in their sport. Many want both - I train for both hypertrophy and for strength and there are programs that combine things (PHUL is a common one).

jack1336 wrote: »
    Whats the difference between Strength training and hypertrophy training? If I want bigger muscles which should I focus on?

If you are after the look - if you want bigger muscles as your primary focus, hypertrophy based programs and routines are what you should focus on. Although, it's not a bad idea to start with a more strength oriented beginner/linear program like Starting Strength or StrongLifts to at least get familiar with the core movements and build a solid base.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    The difference is goal.

Hypertrophy goal is pretty self explanatory.

Strength training as well.

Lets look at the similarities. They both are governed by volume. Both can use the same equipment. Both need to achieve MPS.

Now the volume is usually higher with hypertrophy. Also generally speaking we want to have full muscle recruitment. Meaning on average we will use a lower intensity, but higher rep range for hypertrophy and closer to failure on average.

Strength since we are working higher average intensity, we would use lower volume so recovery is possible.

To answer your question, it is individualized towards your goals and details about you as a individual e.g., training history, how sensitive you are to rep ranges, body composition, etc.

For the general population, I suggest training that involves both hypertrophy and strength. Both pretty much feed off each other in well written programming.

For an example even as a competitive powerlifter, 1/4 of my training is geared towards a hypertrophy response.